• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treacle gave me a fright

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
I went to see to the buns today and Treacle was laying down inside the shed and didn't move until I touched her, next she didn't eat any fruit but went into the run and sat in the large hay box. I knew something was wrong :(

I gave the rest of the buns their fruit and opened them all up ready for the day. Checked on Treacle who had gone inside and was now sat huddled in a corner. Plenty of hay was still available in the hay rack so she could have nibbled through the night if she had wanted to. I thought G I stasis might be starting?

I picked her up, which she hates, sat on the steps with her on her back on my knee and gave her a good tummy rub. I then put her back in the hay box in the run. About an hour later, I was still in the garden, foster babies free ranging and enjoying the sunshine and thought I would check her. This time she was sat in the hay box eating hay... boy was I relieved. Two hours later she was skipping around the garden with her husbun Snow free ranging :shock:

Within a few hours she went from what looked like deaths door to fine. Buns :roll:

Ooh I hate it when they do that!! I get that feeling of dread and fear wash over me, but as you say, after some tummy rubs and I normally give some warm peppermint tea they are back to normal in an hour! I'm glad Treacle made a quick recovery :D

Phew what a relief. :D

Bubbles has scared me a couple of times but has always been back to normal within the hour too. It's still very worrying though and I'm never sure whether to be waiting that little while to see if she picks up or rush her straight to the vets. :?

Ooh I hate it when they do that!! I get that feeling of dread and fear wash over me, but as you say, after some tummy rubs and I normally give some warm peppermint tea they are back to normal in an hour! I'm glad Treacle made a quick recovery :D

Do you syringe feed warm peppermint tea?

Do you syringe feed warm peppermint tea?

Yup only a few mls :D it was a tip from SarahP whose bunnies had a lot of tummy problems. From their reaction it is rather yummy and it feels a more natural way to help with a tummy prob as many people are always saying with little blockages fluid is so important. I used to use a bit of pineapple juice because of the bromelain for breaking down hair but the high sugar content isnt so good for them.

A friend of mine now gives it to her buns as well. I happened to be round hers last time one of hers was a bit off colour and the buns partner kept hopping over for a syringeful :lol:

Beatrix gave me a horrible fright like this too. I guess it was gas. Its so horrible when our buns are sick.

She has ben fine ever since. I will get some peppermint tea bags in for the future. Hate the stuff myself though.

Back