• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you think? Any flaws in my plan? Additional run

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Im feeling guilty that my buns do not get to run on grass and have a proper sprint, run and binky like they used to. Their avairy is mostly in the shade and on a nice day would love to let them out.
My buns have always loved free-ranging at my old house but after 2 encounters lets say I put a stop to it and I wouldnt dare let them in my new house as there are holes in fences, hedges etc etc and its just not bunny proof at all...

So do you think this would work?

These panals....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....958&var=650006306682&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The panals go up to 4ft high and im hoping to buy 4 or 5+ sets (with room to enlarge) to make them a large round run on the lawn.. Im then going to peg netting over the top so they cant jump out and nothing can jump/fly in.

Can you visualise from this photo.. Im hoping I can open the avairy door and they will run straight into the 'pen' but can also go back in their avairy/shed if they want to... Any flaws in my plan? I realise i will need ALOT of netting etc but Im willing to, to let them have a safe large run about.

This is where they will get out of the avairy door:
CIMG3221.jpg

This the garden area (the avairy isnt there in this pic but gives you an idea of lawn area) Avairy is in top right hand corner..
CIMG2811.jpg

Please note this will not be permenant and will only be used when I am home to supervise!

Last edited:
I love your set up :love: Hmmm it would probably be difficult to attach it with the door there? How about creating a cat flap type thing in the door and having a tunnel come out and into a run?

Hi Kath

Is it like one of these type? This is what we do for Twinkle and Star when we want to extend their run on to the grass - but we only do it supervised, and they do still get to free-range sometimes but we have to supervise them very closely as our garden also is not suitable for free-range really (though its a work in progress!).

61b0f350.jpg

My only worry about the netting would be that a fox or cat would be able to get through the netting? Also the one I have, the side panels dont come apart - or at least I cant work out how to do it - so you might need to make sure that you buy the sort of pen that does come apart.

Have you thought about those types of wooden run that are collapsible? Or just buying a sturdy wooden run? There are some good ones for a good price on Ebay.

Good luck.:)

The pen with netting would work but it would only be safe to use while you were actually out there with them all the time.

It wouldn't be safe enough to leave them unattended (by which I mean you being indoors) as the netting and the lightweight panels would be useless against predators.

I've got those panels, and it's very hard to keep netting on top when they are in a larger shape (I have to have things propping the net up in the middle to stopit sagging), and I never let them use that set up unsupervised as I don't think they're sturdy enough.

Personally I would go for either a large wooden framed run, or (what I want for my boys) a set of aviary panels which can be used sideways (giving a 3 foot height and 6 foot length) with extra aviary panels on top for the 'roof'.

Thank you this is exactly the feedback I wanted!

Mischief and Tinker - The avairy door opens inwards so having the pen on the outside wouldnt be a problem I dont think :?

Helgalush - i do already have a collapsable wooden run but I want something big enough i,e 20ft for them to have a good sprint about! I will have another look on ebay and see whats about.

KarenM - They would only be in it when I am outside with them, I have a Jack Russell too so wouldnt leave them out there unattended. When I used to let them freerange before they would only sprint about for about 20 minutes then either return to their shed or lay about on the grass so they wont be out all day in it - Im thinking about 1-2 hours on a nice day so they can stretch their legs.

Blackberry - Thanks for the tip on the netting I hadnt thought of that!
Does it still sag if you pull it really tight and peg it down?
The avairy panals is a good idea thanks, im not sure how much room it would take though, I kind of wanted something I could take up and down and put in the shed when not in use, I might have to have another rethink.

Anymore comments welcome!! :wave:

Mischief and Tinker - The avairy door opens inwards so having the pen on the outside wouldnt be a problem I dont think :?

Helgalush - i do already have a collapsable wooden run but I want something big enough i,e 20ft for them to have a good sprint about! I will have another look on ebay and see whats about.

KarenM - They would only be in it when I am outside with them, I have a Jack Russell too so wouldnt leave them out there unattended. When I used to let them freerange before they would only sprint about for about 20 minutes then either return to their shed or lay about on the grass so they wont be out all day in it - Im thinking about 1-2 hours on a nice day so they can stretch their legs.

The avairy panals is a good idea thanks, im not sure how much room it would take though, I kind of wanted something I could take up and down and put in the shed when not in use, I might have to have another rethink.

Oh I didn't realize that, it should be great then :D

When I used to let them freerange before they would only sprint about for about 20 minutes then either return to their shed or lay about on the grass so they wont be out all day in it - Im thinking about 1-2 hours on a nice day so they can stretch their legs.

Alfie and Bubbles are out for about the same amount of time and it seems to be enough for them; if I leave them out too long they start begging for pellets (they get fed when they go in) and loitering inside the kennel wanting me to shut them in. :lol:

Oh yeah I did totally miss that the point was to give them a huge space! :oops: They will be lucky bunnies with 20ft! :D Hope you find something.

Back