• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

will the grass be safe? *question about miracle gro grass seeds*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
at the end of summer i put down some grass seeds. they had added miracle grow. i asked on here and was told that was safe.

the grass is nice and long now so would it be safe to start introducing them to it, or would it be best to cut it first and let it re-grow. i read somewhere if you treat grass to cut and let it re-grow a few times before you let pets on it. :?

Last edited:
you could give it a cut before they go onto it just to err on the side of caution but i would think that the toxic chemicals in the miracle grow would have been weathered out by now

Think you should be ok if seed just had feed with it. I made the mistake of using a feed and weed a couple of years ago. Rang manufacturers, who said alllow 8 weeks because of the weed element, but said I would have been ok if I had just used a feed. At the end of last summer I did what you have done, used grass seed with some food added. If you're in any doubt, ring the manufacturers.

i've seen another thread that has got me panicking about the grass now. especially as matt had had gut stasis recently aswell. :(

i have been letting them have grass but it's literally a few strands a day.

always something to worry about isn't there. :roll:

just read the box and it says it's 90% grass seeds and 10% fertiliser.

i posted about it last year before using it and was told it would be ok. now i'm not sure :(

i think it was last september i used it. the last week or so i have been giving the pets some grass aswell. :(

It should be fine by now as the winter rain will have washed it into the ground. In future is you want something more natural then bunny poop is great. Just separate it out so you just have the poop and scatter over the lawn like sowing seeds :)

It should be fine by now as the winter rain will have washed it into the ground. In future is you want something more natural then bunny poop is great. Just separate it out so you just have the poop and scatter over the lawn like sowing seeds :)

do you think i should mow it all aswell?

is bunny poop ok to use where the piggies will be aswell?

and can i use bunny poopies to grow herbs and things that both the buns and piggies can eat?

sorry for all the questions :oops:

i agree :wave:

and can i use bunny poopies to grow herbs and things that both the buns and piggies can eat?

I wouldn't bother mowing but go for it if it makes you feel more comfortable. This time of year it should grow back pretty rapidly anyway :)

Yes, fine for growing things for both bunnies and gpig, humans too. Pop a layer in the bottom of the pot. You can also compost all your bunny waste (hay, paperbased litter/megazorb, shredded paper etc.) and use it once it's turned into compost for the whole garden.

I wouldn't bother mowing but go for it if it makes you feel more comfortable. This time of year it should grow back pretty rapidly anyway :)

Yes, fine for growing things for both bunnies and gpig, humans too. Pop a layer in the bottom of the pot. You can also compost all your bunny waste (hay, paperbased litter/megazorb, shredded paper etc.) and use it once it's turned into compost for the whole garden.

Wish I'd known that - did wonder but thought it would probably need to be composed first. Have just planted pots of herbs - have loads of poop that could have gone in before the compost. If I put it on the grass to act as a natural fertiliser, what happens when I mow the lawn?:oops: Can I put it on the garden without composting first?

You can put just the poop on without composting, but you need to compost the rest first. It breaks down quicker when it's damp or if you rake/trowel it in a bit. It summer it may just dry out if left on the surface but it will then soak in when autumn comes around.

The poop should break down and sit on the soil and the worms will work it in so won't be effected by mowing.

We have a wheelie bin sized compost bin and that all the bunny waste plus grass clippings and non edible weeds go in. It sinks down pretty quick in summer so it definitely cuts down the amount that we need to throw away before it gets full.

good idea. although, i don't know where we would put it. :roll: maybe my mum and dads :?

i'm going to try again to grow herbs soon, so i will try some poops in the pots with some compost and hopefully we can grow loads of herbs :D

Back