• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is shredded paper ok as a bedding?

Alicia

Mama Doe
At the rescue today the rabbits had newspaper on the floor and shredded paper on top, and the rescue lady said it was because they had a lot of paper donated to them so it's a lot easier to use it, and my Mum gets loads of old paper through work, that she normally just throws away, would it be ok to shred and put it in the rabbits hutch? I'm worried about any ink and things like that :?

Not sure about ink - may be a problem - but if you do decide to use it make sure the staples are removed before shreding. I use shredded newspaper, kindly shredded by my retired Dad!

Also if it is white paper it can contain bleach which can be bad for the buns if they eat it.

If it's newspaper, yes. Veg based ink is safe. Computer paper with ink on it isn't safe unless you know what kind of ink is used.

Back