• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bearded dragon and his vivarium. (More photos post 16)

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
As requested. :)

Genghis is my male beardie. He's about two years old and I adopted him from my friend when he had to move into a flat.

The vivarium is four foot long and eighteen inches deep. This is his second vivarium and when he's older and bigger I'll be getting a six foot one. I use play sand as a substrate (bedding) and I know there are so many views about what you should and shouldn't use so I'll explain my reasoning. He was brought up on a soft substrate so changing him to something hard how he's an adult could hurt or damage his feet. I chose children's play sand after doing a lot of research because of all the loose substrates it seems the least likely to cause impaction if digested due to it's nature and size. It's also easy to clean, I scoop out any poo or uneaten food with a cat litter scoop.

I bought the cabinet and looked on the internet for ideas on how to fill it but all I found were very barren set ups with only one or two things to climb or bask on. The previous vivarium he came in was very nicely made with all sorts in it so I went back to the pet shop he was originally from and asked for some advice. He said he searched the beaches for debris and attached them with aquarium sealant. So I looted his old vivarium and found some stuff around my university. And my friend gave me some rocks from her rockery. Everything was sterilised in boiling water and left to dry before I put it in. I also bought some bamboo root from Pets at Home. It was £25 so pretty expensive but he loves it. And I also bought an aquarium skull ornament for my own enjoyment. :)

The rocks were carefully placed away from the heat lamps so that they wouldn't get too hot. Beardies can't sense heat with their stomachs so this can be dangerous. And also why you shouldn't use heat mats with them. I have two heat lamps, one of which is turned off at the moment as we have the heating on in the house. One 60watt bulb seems to be keeping the temperature at the hot end at a stable 30 degrees celsius. The UV light is at the front of the vivarium hidden by the 'frame' so that we can't see it but he gets full benefit of it. I have one large flat rock which was put in with the intention of feeding him on so that he was less likely to ingest sand on his veg, but I usually have to hand feed him.

Anyway here are the pictures. Genghis is a little grumpy as he's shedding, but he'll be getting a bath later and some wax worms as a treat to cheer him up.

Full view

DSC01114.jpg

The hot side

DSC01115.jpg

Genghis in his basking area

DSC01116.jpg

The cooler side

DSC01117.jpg

The bamboo root

DSC01118.jpg

Showing all the different textures of wood in the vivarium.

DSC01119.jpg

The feeding rock

DSC01120.jpg

DSC01121.jpg

DSC01122.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

The UV light

DSC01124.jpg

View of the wires. Nailed in while the vivarium was upside down

DSC01125.jpg

Basking

DSC01126.jpg

DSC01127.jpg

DSC01128.jpg

I love the skull in there! I love beardies, I was going to get one and brought a triple tank (3 of your's roughly) and turn it on its side for one big tank, but in the end I decided I didnt have the time or money as the pigs got ill.

I'm glad I didnt get one at that time but definitely want on in the future.

What a beautiful beardie and a fantastic set up. It's great to see he has lots of space. I would be a little concerned though hon that one good stretch of his front legs and he's gonna make contact with his basking lamp and could be badly burnt....any way the platform could be lowered a bit? xxx :D

What a beautiful beardie and a fantastic set up. It's great to see he has lots of space. I would be a little concerned though hon that one good stretch of his front legs and he's gonna make contact with his basking lamp and could be badly burnt....any way the platform could be lowered a bit? xxx :D

I had this worry too, but at the same time I wanted him to get full advantage of the heat. It is possible to lower the platform but, I've not had any problems so far...
Probably shouldn't say that, he is a silly lizard who's ripped a claw out jumping around... :?

He's lovely! :love:

It's great to see a well set-up viv' - I love nosying at people's pet set-ups - especially exotics 'cos people don't post them so much. All the different wood textures are fantastic. :D

Thanks. I know they don't play as such which is why I worked on making the environment interesting. He very rarely touches the floor and jumps from one side to the other. :)

You have a really well set up viv there and Gengis is very handsome :D Just to be on the safe side, I too would move his ledge away from the bulb as tbh beardies are a bit daft sometimes. And you don't need to explain about his substrate, play sand is better than some of what is sold as 'perfect for bearded dragons' like Calci-sand which causes no end of problems. :evil:
All of my dragons have play sand as substrate the only drawback is drying it all out in the oven first which is a pain :roll:
You are clearly a brilliant dragon mum and I'm not letting mine see the pics as they might put in for a move :D

Back