• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metal runs as indoor pens?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I'm thinking about if my buns ever need to come indoors again (like if one got poorly) that using a metal run as a pen would be an idea as when Gordon got ill last week it was really awkward to bring Beano and Gordon in without having any accomadation for them indoors. My room cannot be completely bunnyproofed for buns to free range all the time but can be bunnyproofed for buns to free range for most of the day, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving any all through the night. So what size would you say a pen needed to be? Any reccomenedations for pens? I was thinking of pens that have pannels that you could detach then if I don't think they are the right size I could buy two and attach them together and find a shape that fitted my room. I'm a bit confused about them though, would the bun be able to lift the pen if it was on carpet? Is there anything else that may be better?

I got a couple of the 6 panel Pets at Home puppy pens.
Tinkerbell used to sleep in there at night but Louie was having none of it! He used to lift the run with his teeth and move it across the floor!

If you do use one, make sure you peg a sheet over the top of it as they are capable of jumping out!

Bless him :lol: I would do that but my room has quite a few areas that will need penning off and that might be more expensive then getting the buns a pen. Hopefully they won't have to come in again but I'd rather have something to pop up then trying to figure out what to do with them when under pressure

Bless him :lol: I would do that but my room has quite a few areas that will need penning off and that might be more expensive then getting the buns a pen. Hopefully they won't have to come in again but I'd rather have something to pop up then trying to figure out what to do with them when under pressure

If it is only for occasional use, I would definately have a pen on standby :D

If it is only for occasional use, I would definately have a pen on standby :D

Thanks :) Was thinking of one of the ones from zooplus maybe?

ETA: Just seen the above post, thanks, that's the one I was thinking of :)

I have one of the metal 8 sided ones Liz and they're great for short term/post op situations, emergencies etc. You can peg a sheet over the top to deter buns from jumping out :wave:

I have one of the metal 8 sided ones Liz and they're great for short term/post op situations, emergencies etc. You can peg a sheet over the top to deter buns from jumping out :wave:

Thanks :) I can't afford one at the moment but it's my birthday next month so I could ask for one then :)

I used to use a similar pen in conjunction with a small dog crate - I used to open the pen up and attach the open sides to the sides of the dog crate iyswim.

Alfie and Bubbles never had the brains to try to lift it or jump over it thankfully. :lol: It was ideal because it's quite compact to store.

I had to get a large dog crate last year though as Alfie needed 6 wks cage rest and it would have been a nightmare having an open topped pen with the kitty around too.

I have the 8one and you can use ewer panels too, great for bonding and haveing an emergancy in patient.
Although don't ut it on floorboards there soo noisy :lol:

I have one of these for mylo, just bought another one for when his friend comes home with him.

I have never had a sheet over it but i definately will be doing when he has his girlfriend home, i reckon she could jump over it easily!!!!

Back