• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does anyone have an aviary with some solid panels on? *pics of garden added*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
please can i see pictures :wave:

eta: have added pics of the garden - ideas to make it safer please :wave:

Last edited:
I have some half and half panels? I nearly had solid panels but decided they'd enjoy the benefit of light and air via the top half whilst still being sheltered by the bottom half. Depends where you're building it though.

Can post pics of mine if you want me to? x :D

I have some half and half panels? I nearly had solid panels but decided they'd enjoy the benefit of light and air via the top half whilst still being sheltered by the bottom half. Depends where you're building it though.

Can post pics of mine if you want me to? x :D

i'm getting some ideas for making the garden safer. so they will be out but it will be against the house, if that makes sense.

just wondering if the neighbours would prefer to see mesh or a solid panel! probably neither :?

would love to see pics, thanks. :wave:

Our shed and aviary is next to the house - it's another reason why we went for half and half as otherwise it would have taken some of the light from the house. My set-up....

RabbitShedFinished111.jpg

RabbitShedFinished074.jpg

RabbitShedFinished018.jpg

Before we put the roof on...

MalhamAviaryMice156.jpg

Our shed and aviary is next to the house - it's another reason why we went for half and half as otherwise it would have taken some of the light from the house. My set-up....

RabbitShedFinished111.jpg

RabbitShedFinished074.jpg

RabbitShedFinished018.jpg

Before we put the roof on...

MalhamAviaryMice156.jpg

the way i want it to work is that when the back door is open it leads into the aviary, but because the garden is so small it would basically take up the whole garden anway.

we have neighbours on one side as our garden is the side of the house.. so they would see the top of it because the fences are low. but instead of putting higher fences up, i thought of doing that side of the aviary in full panels instead.

it's blocking the light that i think they might be annoyed about though. it wouldn't stop any sun into their garden in the day, but i suppose half panels would mean it would block no light at all but they would see the side of it and the mesh. :?

asking loads of questions today, trying to get an idea to cover the whole garden :roll:

Could you raise the height of the fence and then put an aviary up? Down the left hand side of our garden we have a low-ish fence but I attached brushwood screening to it to make it 6ft high. Like this:

P1040898.jpg

P1040859.jpg

P1040868.jpg

..... if it helps at all; the mesh isn't very noticeable in the half and half panels. The aviary isn't far from our dining room window but you don't notice it massively as it's just mesh and you can see through it but the panelled section at the bottom gives them shelter etc.

Oh and this is the yard where the rabbit's aviary now is (we have a fence and gates where the open bricks and gap is too so the yard is rabbit-proofed)

Gardensunset021.jpg

Could you raise the height of the fence and then put an aviary up? Down the left hand side of our garden we have a low-ish fence but I attached brushwood screening to it to make it 6ft high. Like this:

P1040898.jpg

P1040859.jpg

P1040868.jpg

..... if it helps at all; the mesh isn't very noticeable in the half and half panels. The aviary isn't far from our dining room window but you don't notice it massively as it's just mesh and you can see through it but the panelled section at the bottom gives them shelter etc.

Oh and this is the yard where the rabbit's aviary now is (we have a fence and gates where the open bricks and gap is too so the yard is rabbit-proofed)

Gardensunset021.jpg

i want to put willow screening up and then the aviary so they wouldn't beable to see the aviary when out in their garden, i just don't know if it would block any light into their lounge :?

i need to take some pics really and show the whole garden so people can advise.

i wanted to do all this last summer but decided not to, but i don't think i can sit outside all day again in summer and be panicking.

so the aviary i want would have either a roof with mesh, or no roof and netting across. don't know which as i have to beable to put parasols and a gazebo up aswell because we have the sun all day.

don't really know what to do for the best.

thanks for the pics, it looks great :D

If you post pics of the garden I will try and help if I can? x :wave:

No problem posting the pics! I don't think mesh panels would block light into our lounge as it doesn't block light into our dining room but I know what you mean.

If you post pics of the garden I will try and help if I can? x :wave:

No problem posting the pics! I don't think mesh panels would block light into our lounge as it doesn't block light into our dining room but I know what you mean.

i'll try and get some pics soon and post them on here. thanks for your help x

i've found some pics. they're not great but you will still beable to work out the garden etc..

this is from the back door. you can see the fence to the left which separates us and next doors garden. the shed is the landlady's.
652_picture023.jpg

the bushes all round the garden wall.
652_16lymecloughway-1.jpg

from the back wall, standing next to the shed.
a84.jpg

standing against the fence separating us and next door.
a83-1.jpg

a139.jpg

the garden is small but i love the size. and people keep saying i'm being too cautious but when i'm sat out there supervising i'm so paranoid.

the bushes stop just before the shed so there's a gap there that the stray cat uses to jump in. it has also jumped onto the gate, and onto the lower fence to get into the garden.

i also saw a fox one night on the other side of the wall behind the shed.

so an aviary would basically cover the whole garden. :?

hope that gives a general idea about the garden. :wave:

Are you planning on them just being free range in the garden somehow - not living out there?

I'd definitely put screening on that left hand fence if you can - it will make it private for you and isn't likely to increase the height to an extent that it will upset anyone too much. You could ask the neighbours' how they felt about it first though if you wanted to?

The fence we have brushwood screening is our fence so next-door couldn't really complain about it but it doesn't affect the fence as it can be taken down (and we will need to replace it at some point 'cos it does get a bit worn - ours is very green now!) - it's only attached with galvanised wire.

If you want them to be able to safely free range in the garden and get in and out of the house by themselves you could put a section of aviary round the door - sort of like a safety enclosure in a bird aviary - and then have a Runaround tunnel ( (( one of these! )) ) attached to the small aviary with a large run at the other side.

If you had anything lower than the door or a cat-flap leading into a run / aviary it would restrict *your* access to the garden.

You could build an aviary all down one side - I really don't see that it would upset the neighbours too much as that fence isn't much lower than 6ft.

i put brushwood screening up in front, and each year for last 2 years added a new layer, slowly increasing its height :lol: as we don;t really want to see them :lol:

its their fence but i came up with crafty idea of putting wooden pieces into the ground on our side and attatching it to that, as dad said they might not like it, i said tough, its not on their fence and makes our garden look nicer, and soo it stuck :D and cats don;t like jumping over it anymore soo they use next doors as their loo :lol:

Are you planning on them just being free range in the garden somehow - not living out there?

I'd definitely put screening on that left hand fence if you can - it will make it private for you and isn't likely to increase the height to an extent that it will upset anyone too much. You could ask the neighbours' how they felt about it first though if you wanted to?

The fence we have brushwood screening is our fence so next-door couldn't really complain about it but it doesn't affect the fence as it can be taken down (and we will need to replace it at some point 'cos it does get a bit worn - ours is very green now!) - it's only attached with galvanised wire.

If you want them to be able to safely free range in the garden and get in and out of the house by themselves you could put a section of aviary round the door - sort of like a safety enclosure in a bird aviary - and then have a Runaround tunnel ( (( one of these! )) ) attached to the small aviary with a large run at the other side.

If you had anything lower than the door or a cat-flap leading into a run / aviary it would restrict *your* access to the garden.

You could build an aviary all down one side - I really don't see that it would upset the neighbours too much as that fence isn't much lower than 6ft.

yes, sorry, should have said. they free range but have to have the option to come in and out of the house. they live indoors. i just want to make the garden safer when we are outside.

because the garden is so small it makes sense to just put the aviary over the whole lot. and then hope i can still put a gazebo and parasol up :roll:

i think the dividing fence is about 5ft. so a ft higher shouldn't make them complain really and i shouldn't think it would block much light into their garden. :?

i can't really ask them as they don't like us.. or they're not sociable like us anyway.. they have never said hello and if we are in the garden they don't like going in theirs.

i don't know who owns the fence. i think we both rent.

my plan was willow screening on that lower fence and then an aviary over the garden, with either a mesh roof, or with just netting over the garden attached to posts. or willow screening round the whole garden and just then parasols and a gazebo up which would block most of the garden anyway! :lol:

i don't really know what to do!! argh! :roll:

Last edited:
i put brushwood screening up in front, and each year for last 2 years added a new layer, slowly increasing its height :lol: as we don;t really want to see them :lol:

its their fence but i came up with crafty idea of putting wooden pieces into the ground on our side and attatching it to that, as dad said they might not like it, i said tough, its not on their fence and makes our garden look nicer, and soo it stuck :D and cats don;t like jumping over it anymore soo they use next doors as their loo :lol:

that was my other idea.. wooden pieces with netting attached over the garden. didn't think about the birds though.. would they get stuck :?

haha, you increased it gradually, that's a good idea! :lol:

there are so many cats round here. we picked the street where 8 houses have cats! and yet there have only ever been two in the garden a few times. the stray one which worries me as it does a predator position when it sees the buns and pigs, and the other is huge but wasn't fussed by them.

We have a problem with the other side of our garden - it's next-door neighbours' fence but it's been built in a shoddy way so several fence panels have fallen out. Our screening we put up came down in the high winds so we now plan to put 'proper' wooden fence posts in using the Metposts (no concrete involved then!) and we'll attach hazel hurdles to these posts. This way; it shouldn't cost too much but will cover the gap and be fairly solid but let wind through - and it's our fence so if the original fence goes over it won't matter.

If the neighbours' move when you go in the garden I think they'll thank you for putting up screening then so I would go for that plan!

How will you include the door into the aviary? x

We have a problem with the other side of our garden - it's next-door neighbours' fence but it's been built in a shoddy way so several fence panels have fallen out. Our screening we put up came down in the high winds so we now plan to put 'proper' wooden fence posts in using the Metposts (no concrete involved then!) and we'll attach hazel hurdles to these posts. This way; it shouldn't cost too much but will cover the gap and be fairly solid but let wind through - and it's our fence so if the original fence goes over it won't matter.

If the neighbours' move when you go in the garden I think they'll thank you for putting up screening then so I would go for that plan!

How will you include the door into the aviary? x

yes, they probably wouldn't be bothered. they're never in that much and obviously they don't like us outside all day talking to the pets :oops:

the plan was to secure the aviary to the floor so there wouldn't be panels against the house, just the other sides.. or a door against our door.. :? i don't really know how it would work. :lol:

part of me thinks just put screening round the whole edge of the garden and massive parasols that would be like a roof anyway, and just supervise them as normal.

eta: but change the gate and put those 'spikes' on so the cats can't jump onto the top of the gate.

the way i want it to work is that when the back door is open it leads into the aviary, but because the garden is so small it would basically take up the whole garden anway.

we have neighbours on one side as our garden is the side of the house.. so they would see the top of it because the fences are low. but instead of putting higher fences up, i thought of doing that side of the aviary in full panels instead.

it's blocking the light that i think they might be annoyed about though. it wouldn't stop any sun into their garden in the day, but i suppose half panels would mean it would block no light at all but they would see the side of it and the mesh. :?

asking loads of questions today, trying to get an idea to cover the whole garden :roll:

Hi

I notice you have a Runaround pipe and one of the circular attachments. Are they fairly robust (I refer to against bunny teeth)?!! Is the plastic pipe like one of the green tunnels you can buy or much stronger - Olive destroys those and the one we have at the moment is only about half its original length. Naught bun!

The Runaround black plastic pipe is a lot stronger than the green ones. They have a green one which has been thoroughly chewed (and usually gets thrown across the aviary when we don't let them out to free range fast enough!) but the black Runaround one hasn't been touched.

It's very thick, rigid plastic. Very well made.

hmm tricky! You can get 5ft high panals thats what I got because of the same reason, i didnt want the panal going higher than the neighbours fence but then mine is slightly different in that it doesnt take up my whole garden. I think i would be happier with avairy than a solid panal then maybe do what mini lop said and put the screening up aswell. Im not sure about the roof, netting maybe you could take up and down and isnt so permenant.

hmm tricky! You can get 5ft high panals thats what I got because of the same reason, i didnt want the panal going higher than the neighbours fence but then mine is slightly different in that it doesnt take up my whole garden. I think i would be happier with avairy than a solid panal then maybe do what mini lop said and put the screening up aswell. Im not sure about the roof, netting maybe you could take up and down and isnt so permenant.

it's going to be awkward and look a mess whatever i do isn't it! :lol:

Back