• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When to neuter?

Stace

New Kit
Guys,

We have two lops. Boys, 6 months old.

They are constantly at it, hammer and tong, and I thought getting them neutered might knock out there sexual prowess!! We took them to the vets the other day for a check up and mentioned it.

We were told they were too young but more importantly, its not really necesary.

Whats your thoughts? I have alway thought it was something we would need to do.

As long as their testicles have descended and they are other wise healthy they are old enough, can be as young as 4 months for some boys.

Without neutering it is likely that the humping will turn to fighting and you will have to seperate them.

I don't think your vet us a very knowledgable one in the bunny field for advising against it os maybe approach another vet :wave:

xx

I think you need to go to a rabbit savvy vet! It is recommended that you do get males neutered, and I think 6 months is plenty old enough- some can be done a young as 12 weeks.

as young as 12 weeks they can be neutered. my two were about 16 weeks i think. as soon as bisc started to hump matt they were booked in so they wouldn't fight and could stay living together happily.

and definitely don't go to that vets!! where are you based? someone will beable to recommend a rabbit savvy vet near you. :wave:

Change your vet. I don't get why there are so many stories of vets giving out poor advice at the moment? They have BEEN to vet college right?! *Scratches head*

Nope, your boys will need doing as soon as to avoid fighting. Their hormones should calm down within a couple of months then. This should mean you'll be able to littetrain them too. :D

Well done for not just taking your vet's word for it anyway. Welcome to RU! :wave:

Our vet has been fantastic with our dog, Its quite clear that they know nothing about Rabbits.

We are just outside Portsmouth if anyone has recommendations.

Our vet has been fantastic with our dog, Its quite clear that they know nothing about Rabbits.

That's not uncommon, unfortunately! Vets have minimal training (as in hours, not months!) in rabbits unless they have elected to learn about "exotics" which, for random reasons unknown to most of us, includes rabbits! So there are loads of absolutely fantastic cat/dog vets who are absolutely hopeless with bunnies.

There are a few forum members who live around the south coast there, so hopefully someone can recommend you a good bunny vet. I would advise getting them booked in for their ops as soon as you find a decent vet with availability, this week ideally - as at 6 months they are well old enough to be neutered. Do they live together at the moment? If they do, they stand an enormous chance of fighting and those fights turn very nasty very quickly in uncastrated boys - they go straight for each others 'bits' and can castrate each other :shock:

Hi,
My bun was done at about 5 months, I took him in for a check just to make sure he was ready, then he was in out and all done. I was lucky as he wasn't displaying any hormonal behaviour but I was keen to get him done before he did as takes six weeks for their hormones to settle after.

Welcome to RU and I'm sure someone will be able to recommend a good rabbit vet for you.

Back