• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccinating and Neutering?

Ally_Ally

New Kit
Hi there,
We're hopefully getting our 6 month old girl spayed in the next couple of weeks or so, and I was wondering if it would be safe for her to have one of her jabs at the same time (just before). I was only wondering, as we did this (successfully) with our male bun, but obviously he had a smaller operation to get through, and he was a bit older. What do you think?
Thanks x

:wave: I wouldn't. I would recommend at least two weeks between any type of 'intervention'. Aside from the fact that the two at the same time *could* make the bun poorly, neutering will make the bun's body focus on repairing itself from the operation, so the rabbit may not generate sufficient immune response from the vaccination, meaning that she wouldn't be able to protect herself if she comes into contact with the disease at a later date. And of course that's something you'll not know potentially until it's too late; I wouldn't risk it :)

vets dont generally let that happen because of the risks. Its doesnt happen often but buns can have reactions to the injections which would not be good if there were any complications during surgery.

my vet gave them the injections then two weeks later did the neutering on yuki

Back