• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a hutch be attatched to this?

Alicia

Mama Doe
My Mum has now said I can get a run, but for some reason she doesn't want to get the run that I could buy with the hutch, so we've been looking at metal runs, and I've found one that is 7ft long and just under 4ft high, it looks like this (but its not this one, I'm looking for runs on the other computer and can't find the website at the moment - so its this design but bigger)
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/runs_fencing/pens_with_racks/35638

Can a hutch be attatched to this?

I really wouldn't use a metal run permanently attached to a hutch. They're not very sturdy and never come with a proper lid, it's normally just a net.

I really wouldn't use one..:? What about a wooden run?:)

The one I plan on getting has a metal lid attatched. I can't find the link at the moment sorry. My Mum's looking at runs but she keeps suggesting 4ft and 5ft runs and I've tried explaining it to her but she doesn't get that the rescue won't rehome to us with a small run.

The one I plan on getting has a metal lid attatched. I can't find the link at the moment sorry. My Mum's looking at runs but she keeps suggesting 4ft and 5ft runs and I've tried explaining it to her but she doesn't get that the rescue won't rehome to us with a small run.

But even the metal lids aren't very good. A dog/fox can easily jump on top and it would just cave in:( Also, I've heard of people whose rabbits have got their heads stuck in the bars of trixie runs, whereas wooden runs have much smaller, usually galvanised, mesh:)

I've seen that run in use and its on the good side in some respects, but I found it awkward and difficult to get the rabbits out of, because of where the openings were and how few there were.

Thank you. I hope the rescue will explain to Mum about hutch sizes. She seems to think we could get a 4ft hutch for 2 medium sized bunnies and a 4ft run and we'd be able to get rescue rabbits. I've told her that they won't rehome to us and she still doesn't get it. I've showed her the hutch and run on the happy hutch website and the rescue has also included a link in their emails and my Mum's making any excuse not to get it! I don't know why, because it's my money, and I'm not going to spend my money on a hutch and run that is not suitable for rabbits, I want to give them the best life I can. One of the excuses she's made for not getting the hutch and run combo is that she doesn't think they'd use the ramp, I've told her that loads of people on this forum have that huch and run and don't have a problem with it. If you've got this:
http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/details.php?product=70

Have your rabbits ever had a problem with the ramp?

No ramp problems here. Also have a metal run with a proper metal top not mesh. Very sturdy and heavy and anchored to the concrete flags with carabiners and big screw in hooks. Bars are galvanised and close together. Don't see what the problem is with metal runs it's just a case of finding the right one. I do have a wooden one too but the metal one is of much better quality and much stronger. :)

Last edited:
Metal and wooden both have there issues- i find wooden look nicer than metal. Metal are easier to move around. Metal are much less safe than wooden - Metal do eventually rust if left on grass- all mine have they were sunk into the soil though. Wooden don't last very long either. The ones that are metal need extra security, mind you most wooden runs won't stand up to a fox- i've had my bunnies in the past taken from a run. I would have a wooden run, then metal run round the outside as an added barrier perhaps.

I have a metal 7ft by 4ft run attached to a hutch, its about the same as that one with an attached lid. My cats sit on top and it hasn't caved in. I find it pretty easy to move to get into hutch.

Back