• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter "training".

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
I've never had any problems with rabbits using the littertray so need some advice!

My niece has a 13 week old Mini lop female. She is freerange in the kitchen/dining room, which is enormous and is allowed in other rooms when there is someone at home.

Unfortunately, they cannot get her to use the littertray. She will jump in it and then jump back out to wee and poo on the floor next to it. She has 2 or 3 spots where she will toilet so they have tried moving the tray to where she is going but she always goes at the side of it not in it.

Due to this, they don't let her freerange when noone is home, sister says it's too much mess :( So, overnight and when noone is in, she is locked in one of those multi coloured Welcome Home plastic hutches :(

I've tried telling her it's too small but she thinks it's fine :(

So, if the littertray issues could be sorted, she would be left out all the time which is what I want to see for bunny. She is a gorgeous little thing, so friendly and bouncy and I hate to think of her caged for long periods :(

Anyone got any suggestions?

Is she spayed?
Sorry i have no idea's but have they tried putting the poop in the litter tray, so she knows what its for?

No she's not spayed, she is only 13 weeks.

Yes, they have tried putting the poo in the tray and I also told them to clean the areas where she wee's with white vinegar but nothing is working.

No she's not spayed, she is only 13 weeks.

Yes, they have tried putting the poo in the tray and I also told them to clean the areas where she wee's with white vinegar but nothing is working.

Oh yeah..Duh...:roll::lol:
Sorry, still a bit too early in the morning for me!
I have no idea then....Maybe they could try talking to their vet??:?

You need to start off with a small space and increase it slowly.

Giving too much space too soon will result in her not using her litter tray.:wave:

I had a bun like this. Even after she was spayed, she would still go next to the tray or in another corner.
I thought it was because she wasn't litter trained for the first couple of years as I never knew they could be until I came on here.

I didn't realise not being spayed plus lots of space could result in not using the tray. I must just have been lucky as all of mine have used the tray straightaway and not been spayed/neutered!

Could they maybe have a litter tray in each place she likes to go to the toilet, and put a few sheets of newpaper/towels underneath it so if she pees/poos to the side of the box it doesn't go on their floor?

Litter trays aren't exactly expensive, you can get the larger sized cat ones for like £1 in wilkos:wave:

Could they maybe have a litter tray in each place she likes to go to the toilet, and put a few sheets of newpaper/towels underneath it so if she pees/poos to the side of the box it doesn't go on their floor?

Litter trays aren't exactly expensive, you can get the larger sized cat ones for like £1 in wilkos:wave:

That's a good idea, will tell her!

She has bought the bigger sized tray, had a corner one before, but it's made no difference!

Glad to be of help:)

But yeah the space/being unspayed issue is probably the cause of the problem:)

Trouble is, if I tell her about the space issue, she will probably just confine bunny to the horrible little hutch :( Can't see there is any hope of her going out and buying a puppy pen :(

Trouble is, if I tell her about the space issue, she will probably just confine bunny to the horrible little hutch :( Can't see there is any hope of her going out and buying a puppy pen :(

Ohhh yeah that's a point. Well maybe she could try the extra litter trays/newspaper etc idea first and then perhaps when she's a little older you could push the spaying issue:lol:

Ohhh yeah that's a point. Well maybe she could try the extra litter trays/newspaper etc idea first and then perhaps when she's a little older you could push the spaying issue:lol:

Yes, I'll mention the littertrays/newspaper first! I have already plugged the spaying issue A LOT! :lol::lol:

I just knew they wouldn't have the patience for a houserabbit, but noone ever listens to me :(

Back