• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So embarrassed post 4 UPDATE

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Beatrix has suddenly started breathing really fast. She has one ear up and its vibrating like crazy. She is lying on her side with her paws stretched out. I have tried to give her dried dandelion but she won't eat it. Am I just being paranoid? :?

Last edited:
Okay last time this happend she had gas. She is stretching and moving tring to get comfy. I have Infacol, old metacam, sloe leaves. Should I give her any of this? how much? :(

Okay just phoned my vets emergency line and told that Beatrix is fine and probably just "full". She has only stopped eating for the past 30mins and acting strange and apparently no tummy upset can happen that quickly in rabbits. I must wait at least 4 or 5 hours before calling again and taking her in for vet care. I said I had infacol here in case its gas but she said not to give her anything.

The lady was really nice and I apologised for pannicking.:oops: she said it was okay but I feel a bit silly. I even got my stethescope out trying to listen to her tummy. Very quiet.

The lady was really nice and I apologised for pannicking.:oops: she said it was okay but I feel a bit silly. I even got my stethescope out trying to listen to her tummy. Very quiet.

Arrh bless you, you cant help worrying, but this ^^^ made me laugh :lol:
It would never have crossed my mind to do this ( if I had one that is ;))

Erm, I wouldn't be embarrassed about this. You know your bunnies well and gut instinct is very important.
To my knowledge, none of my bunnies have ever been 'full' and never, ever refuse a tasty morsel, so I think you have a right to be concerned. I would also argue that tummy troubles can come and go very quickly in bunnies.
By all means leave it a while before ringing the vet back, but I would be taking proactive action too. In my case, I would syringe a little cooled, boiled water, do some tummy rubs and make her run around a little.

Glad she's OK. As a first-time bunny mummy I am always worrying about this or that that Spenser is or isn't doing. The symptoms you describe would certainly have alarmed me.

Thanks guys. I have tried giving her a gentle belly masage but she didn't like it. I did it softly on right side and she let me but when I started on the left side she didn't like it. I also tried her with her fave herb mix and a sloe leave but she didn't touch them. She got up and hid in her house. :( I'm staying up all night if I have to and keep an eye on her.

Just her a wimper and jumped to the floor to see how she was. Beatrix was licking Darcy's face. I tried her with a carroty treat and she eat it!! She has also had 4 sloe leaves!! Hurray!!:love: I'm still staying up to keep an eye on her in case she gets bad again.

I'm annoyed as it was hopefully gas and if so I could have given her infacol to help it at least. :? Or am I being a silly over-protective mommy?:?:oops:

My baby girl just hopped over to me for a nose rub an ear tickle!:love: She is now eating some celery leaves with gutso. I can#t tell you how relieved and happy I am my baby girl is okay!!:love::love::love::love::love::love:

I'm so sorry to hear that Beatrix has been poorly.
Neither do I believe that bunnies get "full". These episodes which come on very fast indeed & go just as quickly are usually caused by trapped gas, which is very painful as some of us know for ourselves.

I hope she's well on the road to full recovery now. Please let us know how she is in the morning.

Neither do I believe that bunnies get "full". These episodes which come on very fast indeed & go just as quickly are usually caused by trapped gas, which is very painful as some of us know for ourselves.

I hope she's well on the road to full recovery now. Please let us know how she is in the morning.

thanks Thumps. Do you know how much infacol I can give her next time it happens? I;m annoyed I listened to the emergency vet as I could have given her some infacol tonight for the gas rather than having to just sit and wait for her pass it. Poor baby.

I am sorry that Beatrix had a tummy ache but glad that she seems to have made a rapid recovery.

I no longer use Infacol ( I use Woodwards Gripe Water) but when I did I gave 2-3ml to start with then another 1ml every couple of hours if necessary xx

They can go downhill so quickly can't they? One minute fine, the next minute not eating.

Hope she is feeling well this morning xxx

How is she doing this morning?

I also don't believe in 'full' and have had arabbit deteriorate very quickly from normal to me being scared they will die. So don't be embarassed, you did all the right things.

Agree and with the posts above also. Bunnies do NOT get full and if showing signs of gas as she was 4-5 hours is TOO long to seek vet attention if bun does not pick up within the hour.

I use infacol at 1ml as needed...sometimes hourly. Gripe water is also helpful, as is fluids - cooled boiled water/herbal tea and tummy massage. You were right to be concerned and as Sky-O says did all the right things. I hope she is ok this morning x

ETA a heat pad or hot water bottle can also help if bun feels hypothermic (cold) as can happen quickly when the tummy bloats/slows down.

Don't feel silly about worrying at all! We all do it as we know our buns best x
Hope she's back to normal and that you managed to get some rest x

I am glad your bunny is ok now but I totally disagree with the advice you were given by the emergency vet- you clearly discribed a bunny in pain (rapid breathing, vibrating, stretching and uncomfortable). Did they offer to see you to administer pain relief at least? Luckily this time it was a bit of trapped gas but it could have been the onset of bloat and 4-5 hours could have been too long to wait xx

Back