• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

trying to find the words for a post which...

Candiflare

Mama Doe
explains how I feel about people's cruelty to animals (most relevantly rabbits) at the moment... but can't really find anything to say.

Got a call back from the RSPCA after reporting that woman who had rabbits with no water. They said they would be taking her rabbits but that they needed to let me know to take "extra precautions" in the next few weeks as the woman realised it was me. She knows my name too. I feel relatively safe but it's just my buns I'm worried about.

Then I picked up this rex X nethie today from a woman in a wheelchair who was paralysed from the waist down. Someone had dumped him in her front garden in a box in the rain and he was there for 3 days before her son found him and brought him inside. She had him in a box and had given him brocolli and bread to eat for the past week. He was in stasis, so have been syringe feeding him since I got home.

I know rescues know the real situation - I saw The Duchess' post about getting all those call-ins yesterday and today - and I don't know how they cope. It just seems impossible to turn people's views around about rabbits.

Meaningless post, I know. I know we all know this and say it all the time, but I just feel so tired of cruelty and know that you'll all understand.

I picked up this rex X nethie today from a woman in a wheelchair who was paralysed from the waist down. Someone had dumped him in her front garden in a box in the rain and he was there for 3 days before her son found him and brought him inside. She had him in a box and had given him brocolli and bread to eat for the past week. He was in stasis, so have been syringe feeding him since I got home.

How is he doing???

Kate.......................just sometimes it is all too much.

Other times you feel you could take on the world.!!!!!!!!!

You and the collective we, do the best we can , when we can, as we can.

Never change the world forever..............................just do the very best for here and now.

If only..........
We can dream.

Last edited:
Kate.......................just sometimes it is all too much.

Other times you feel you could take on the world.!!!!!!!!!

You and the collective we, do the best we can , when we can, as we can.

Never change the world forever..............................just do the very best for here and now.

If only....................

We can dream.

Imagine ..................here goes............................CHANGE THE WORLD FOREVER. NO MORE CRUELTY.............................WONDERFUL................
NO MORE NASTINESS EVER....................WONDERFUL.....................

DISCUSSION .........INTERESTED WHAT WOULD WE FIGHT FOR.?

Steady now......................nothing that is going to cause disruption.

I always joke with my OH that I will one day perform a suicide mission and run a livestock lorry off the road or crash into the front of the Huntingdon Life Sciences building deliberatley... not going to happen, not constructive to ANYTHING, but not saying I haven't had the urge to do it!

As far as REAL solutions or what to fight for? General mainstream acceptance of the rabbit as a domestic pet which is intelligent, feels pain, is rewarding etc... And fight for self-awareness and empathy from pet owners to take their own experiences of pain/suffering and apply them to animals in the same situation.

He's still got black, chippy, tiny poos and he's not drinking, but he's lively enough. Just got to work out what to do with him now...

Thanks for asking...

It will wear you down time and time.......and always will.

But, you now how to find resources to re-charge your batteries for the next time.

You will always care,it hurts, it is tiring, it is relentless, but whilst your heart is beating, you body is willing, you will continue to help.

Last edited:
The chances of changing the world for ever are so remote.

Just try to do your best for here and now..............

Last edited:
I've posted this story before on a thread but I always think of this when someone says 'you can't save all of them' or 'you can't change the world'. It's the story of the star fish...

One morning a young man was stood watching an elderly man with a walking stick on a beach where hundreds of star fish were drying out in the rising morning sun.

The old man struggled as he bent down, picked up a star fish and then walked to the water's edge placing the star fish carefully back in the water. The young man watched but didn't help as again and again the old man put star fish after star fish back in to the sea struggling each time to bend, straighten back up and walk.

The young man shook his head bemused - there were so many star fish too many to save. He then called out to the old man on the beach 'Old man, why do you bother, you can't save them all... what difference will it make?'

The old man looked up briefly then carried on back to the water's edge with another star fish in his hand 'I know' he said, 'I can't help them all' and as he placed another star fish back in to the water he said' but I made a difference to that one'

That's how I see every situation when as a family we help any animal - it's impossible to save them all but we can help 'that one'.

Hope you find the strength to keep going ... :wave:

He's still got black, chippy, tiny poos and he's not drinking, but he's lively enough. Just got to work out what to do with him now...

Thanks for asking...

How's the chap this morning? Did you get in touch with a rescue to get him a place? Have you syringed him some cool boiled water to keep his fluids up. I have plenty of stuff here if you need anything in the way of critical care, baby food, probiotics, etc. Sending vibes for the little one.

I just saw Baby Saints birthday thread and that is a very happy story come from a bad situation. You just need to try to focus on the good stories. Hugs to you.

I agree with hurricanhoney - just focus on the good stuff.

I hope you are ok xxxx

Just thought I would add a link of baby saint. Her and Helen's story is on there.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274364&page=3

Other positives to think of are Evie, the Lymington bunnies, Starfish and Catwalk Kate.

Anyone think of any other positive rescues.

I read it and cried.

What a lovely story - One of the Family.

Sometimes I just can't read awful stories anymore. My OH has to censor the papers for me. I get too upset. Because I wish I could help more.

You do a wonderful job Candiflare. I do read your posts but not sure I comment.

Hugs.

Oh thank you for all your posts guys! Love the starfish story :love::love::love:

Thank you.

I am so useless when it comes to keeping the faith in something. My business partner is finding that as well.. I am always slipping into bouts of "We will never..."

Little rex bun is now at Windwhistle.... :love:

Oh thank you for all your posts guys! Love the starfish story :love::love::love:

Thank you.

I am so useless when it comes to keeping the faith in something. My business partner is finding that as well.. I am always slipping into bouts of "We will never..."

Tee hee. Another rex;)

Thank you.

You do a fabulous job helping all the bunnies.

Just remember how many little ones you have managed to help.

Well done.

Keep strong.
xx

Back