• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunnies coming soon ... names?

Nemily

Warren Scout
Hi All

We are getting two mini lop bunnies on 26th March, from a breeder (the "WE" being my two daughters aged 13 and 10). Both bunnies female, one is a sooty fawn and the other is light orange.

What a minefield it has been selecting the breed, breeder, hutch (thank goodness for this site) and deciding on the run etc. The hutch is ordered, the run is going to be made by hubbie and we have still to purchase the hutch bedding, toys etc.

ANY ADVICE WELCOME!! We are complete newbies, but have so far done extensive research to sometimes complex, contradictory results! Our bunnies will live outside, we plan to have a section of garden free range for them and a run built which we can move around the garden.

Now please forgive me but could anyone answer a few queries?

[/LIST]Injections - divived on the net as to whether they are needed? I asked local vet today and she said she didnt think so?
Is one water bottle and food bowl sufficient for the two bunnies or one each?
Any advise on the best bedding to use? shredded paper useful?
Pet insurance? is it a good thing to have? bearing in mind that the stipulation of which is that the pets are vaccinated
and finally and here is the fun bit ...

Anyone like to throw some name suggestions in the pot .. my daughters are having problems finding something they like.

Thanks a lot for your help :wave:

First off, if you're getting bunnies from a breeder they will both need to be spayed, to eradicate the risk of ovarian/uterine cancer, help them bond better and reduce hormonal behaviour:)

YES, the bunnies must be vaccinated against myxi every 6 months, and vhd every year:) It's worrying that your vet said they didn't have to be, I take it they're not rabbit savvy? I would highly suggest finding a vet who really knows what they are doing with bunnies:)

Also, how big is your hutch? I would attach the run permanently to the hutch so they have lots of room, instead of making one that can be moved around:)

Hello :wave:

Firstly, It sounds like you have already done alot of searching for your perfect buns but can I ask if you considered giving two rescue buns a forver home? There are lots of bunnies already needing homes in rescues and with fosterers.

I'll dive straight in with the questions :)

Injections - YES! They will both need to be vaccinated against myxi and VHD. They are given two weeks apart. These are 6 monthly and yearly.

Water/Food - I would say have a bowl/bottle in the hutch and then a bottle attatched to the run as well and then as for food, just one good size bowl should be fine for two.

Bedding - You can just put down newspaper and hay, or you can by a big sack of Megazorb. Shredded paper and Straw aren't very absorbant so I would avoid. Also, try and avoid wood shavings.

Something which has not been mentioned but you should be aware of is that your girls will need to be spayed when they hit puberty at around 6 months. It will keep the hormones and behavioural issues at bay BUT the most important thing is that it will protect against uterine etc cancer.

Pet Plan are the only company to offer Bunny Insurance that I am aware of. I'm still on the Fence.

I wouldn't name them until you have them, You get to know their personalities then :)

xxxxx

Hi
Welcome to Ru :D .....please ensure your buns are sexed properly, often this is mis-sexed and the owners end up with more than they expect.
You will need to have your buns neutered, this will help prevent uterine cancer and the girls will bond more effectively or they'll be likely to fight once hormones kick in, rabbits are very territorial.
Yes, buns will need Myxomatosis and HVD jabs. I would search for a different vet than the one you asked advice from!
Bedding is a personal choice, some choose lino, newspaper, straw in the bed...lots of hay for buns.

Hi, welcome to RU! :wave:

First off, it's great that you're doing your research first - I wish everyone would!

A vet who knows their rabbits is really important. Where abouts do you live? There's bound to be one near you someone can recommend. Don't touch the vet you've spoken to with a barge pole - I don't know what century she's living in! :shock: Rabbits need to be vaccinated against Myxi, then against VHD 2 weeks later. VHD needs to be renewed annually while Myxi every 6 months. While you're at the vet, it's a good idea to ask them to double check the sex (you can't be too careful!) and discuss worming, rear guarding, claw clipping and spaying. Does need to be spayed at 6 months, to avoid aggression, hormone-related behaviours and uterine cancer. Spaying will also make it much easier to littertrain them, although you should introduce the concept of littertrays straight away.

In the run up to their spays, you'll need to keep a very close eye on them to ensure there's no bullying or fighting between them. Mounting is normal (it's a way of establishing dominance) but excessive mounting, chasing, fur pulling or fighting and they must be separated straight away. They can then be re-bonded 6 weeks after their ops.

Rabbits, particularly young ones, need LOTS of space. It sounds like you've got that lined up for them already, but as they won't be able to free range (even in a secure garden) without supervision, their hutch and run will need to be as large as possible. The hutch should be at least 5ft long, and preferably 2 tiers. You may find that a shed will be more cost effective. The run will need a strong, lockable lid to prevent predators from attacking. You'll also need to be aware of the buns digging out underneath a run - a determined bun can be free in 5 minutes!

One water bottle is fine for them to share. A food bowl isn't actually necessary - it's better to scatter their fresh veg and pellets to promote their natural grazing behaviour, which will enrich their lives. Pellets and veg should only make up around 20 % of their diet anyway. Hay and grass are the staple food. Check out www.thehayexperts.co.uk for a variety of delicious hays and grass.

Thick straw is generally the best bedding for outdoor buns. The only problem with this is that it can be quite hard to 'skip out' as stray poos can become hidden in it easily. Pet-friendly woodshavings should be fine if your garden is sheltered, but you will need to keep the hutch scrupulously clean to avoid respiratory issues. I wouldn't advise shredded paper as they tend to eat it, and it could cause a blockage.
For littertrays, I recommend 'carefresh'. It's more absorbant than most other litters.

I think insurance probably is a good idea. I'm with Petplan. They won't cover dentals, immunisations or routine meds, but they'd be good if something unexpected happened. Alternatively, you could put an amount of money aside each month and keep that for emergencies.

As for names, there are lots of cute ones out there! :D I'd go for something original though, so as to stand out.

Last edited:
Hi Chloe

Thank you for that, I had already read about the spaying and planned for that one. Hmmm now you mention it the reception staff in the vets didnt seem to know much about the rabbit care, so maybe its not something they get involved in, I will devote some time to ringing other local vets in the week I think.

Thats a good idea about the permanent run, we have ordered 5 ft by 3 ft double hutch, and there was the option of an attached run but hubbie said the run wasnt big enough at only 5 ft by 3 ft so he said he would build a bigger one, also one with more height to it because they seemed quite low. I am seriously worried about foxes (well am a bit anxious about it all to be honest, I dont want to get it completely wrong!)

So thanks, attached run and vet search coming up!

I cant seem to attach photos of our babies :(

Hi Chloe

Thank you for that, I had already read about the spaying and planned for that one. Hmmm now you mention it the reception staff in the vets didnt seem to know much about the rabbit care, so maybe its not something they get involved in, I will devote some time to ringing other local vets in the week I think.

Thats a good idea about the permanent run, we have ordered 5 ft by 3 ft double hutch, and there was the option of an attached run but hubbie said the run wasnt big enough at only 5 ft by 3 ft so he said he would build a bigger one, also one with more height to it because they seemed quite low. I am seriously worried about foxes (well am a bit anxious about it all to be honest, I dont want to get it completely wrong!)

So thanks, attached run and vet search coming up!

I cant seem to attach photos of our babies :(

I'm glad you found my info useful:D

And to put pictures in you can create a photobucket account (it's free!:)) and upload them to photobucket. Then you copy the IMG code into your post:):wave:

Oh thanks, here are the babies ....

Picnikcollage-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Thank you very much for all of your responses, I didnt expect so many and you have been really helpful. First stop then is rabbit friendly vets, and to arrange their injections as soon as, and to check their sexing to be sure :shock:

I hadnt thought about litter trays, I assumed this to be for house rabbits. But I will add this to our shopping list!

Oh my goodness, the run! My hubbie has been saying that this needs to be built in such a way its sunk into the ground so they cannot dig out (any tips or comments on this appreciated).

Regarding insurance, im on the fence also! I cant decide whether to pay it or self insure by putting the money to one side each month. As an insurance broker I do see the benefit of it, and understand that with continuous insurance conditions are covered long term once they develop, but will I actually use it? hmmm :?

Anyway, just a source of amuzement for you all .... my hubbie had a rabbit as a kid, it was kept in a hutch made by his dad, never ever went to the vet, just had veg for food and used to wear a collar. They had a bottle jack in the middle of the lawn and tied a rope from that to the collar as a kind of lead. The rabbit used to be so strong it actually dragged this jack around the garden with it! apparently when the rabbit died it was 3 ft long! :D

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l486/paintingasunshine/Picnikcollage-1.jpg

M buns have litter trays, it makes cleaning out much easier!

You could sink the run into the ground, but I'd still be worried about them digging out, or even worse.. predators digging in.
It's probably better to put the run on pavings or concrete, or you could put the run over a layer of wire mesh and put turf over the top? I'd quite like to do this with my runs in the future.:)

I don't have pet insurance because I'm always worried I'll get scammed, I put money aside whenever I can instead:)

Last edited:
I hadnt thought about litter trays, I assumed this to be for house rabbits. But I will add this to our shopping list!

Oh my goodness, the run! My hubbie has been saying that this needs to be built in such a way its sunk into the ground so they cannot dig out (any tips or comments on this appreciated).

Buns wee and poo A LOT so it's a good idea to use littertrays. They probably won't become completely littertrained as hutch buns, but hopefully will use them the majority of the time. It'll make cleaning out much easier (I hope your girls are prepared for scooping stinky littertrays out in the cold winter evenings! :lol:) Encourage the buns to use them by gently nudging them into their trays when you see them start to pee (squatting, legs apart and bottoms in air) when they've finished reward them with a yummy treat - fenugreek crunchies always go down well.

With the run, personally I much prefer grass to paving on concrete, unless you live on a flood plain! It's kinder on the feet and will allow them natural grazing. It's a good idea to dig up the section of turf the run will cover, and bury weld mesh underneath, attaching it to the edges of the run. Then you can re-lay the turf over the top. It will be hard work but at least you'll have peace of mind. Here's a vid of my boys (RIP Ginger :() in their run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaptxI7xA-k

Last edited:
Names :wave:

:wave::wave::wave::wave:Dizzi, Toffee, Marshmallow, Bella, Minty, Nutmeg, Miffy, Toto, Jazz ,Mimi. Those are some names i thought of :D:D:D:D:):):):):lol::lol::lol:;):love::love::p:p:p

Last edited:
Haha the name game...we were scared Nyxie would think her name was "bunny" because that's what we called her for two weeks :lol:

Your babies are gorgeous!!

Re: outdoor buns and litter trays, mine all 'self selected' a toilet corner after a while, so we just put the trays there and kept an eye to see if they'd changed their minds. :roll:

Their names will come to you when you meet them and their little personalities come out a bit more. Lots of different names on here so have a look.

:lol:

thanks all for your replies and for the very very helpful advice and tips, hoppit your video is fab and it has helped out with what we would like for our babies!

Hubbie is now building a 9 x 6 walk in style run for the buns to have 24/7 access to. Wire mesh is going underneath and we are turfing over with a few slabs for us to walk on. The question is the roof, is it better to get a covered roof (felt or corrugated) or a mesh roof to allow the rain and sunshine on the bunnies? hmm this has been the debate of the week for us!

We found a very local vet who advised us on the jabs and prices, very helpful :D

Its just less than two weeks now til the bunnies arrive, we have the hutch arriving on wed, the wire mesh arriving wed to be attached to its framework.

Very exciting in this house! The kids have even painted the wooden frame for the run :shock: rabbit friendly of course!

Finally folks, to line the hutch base or not? answers on a postcard pls ...

Grateful always :wave:

:wave:so pleased you are getting help with things you are unsure about and seem to be making a great job of everything.

my run is all mesh but i have put a sun screen over one half so the guys can choose, sun or shade.

why not let the kids choose names? (saying that my niece just called her new hamster Berwald..) :roll:

looking forward to see what you decide on. :)

I would put a sheltered felt/corrugated roof on the run. :thumb: A mesh roof sounds like a nice idea when the weather is dry and fine but it means the run ends up soaking wet when it rains.

It's a good idea to line the hutch floor too. I used the vinyl self-adhesive floor tiles, but others have used the lino on a roll. It stops any pee from soaking into the wood and makes it much easier to clean. :)

Back