• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anything be passed between pet rats and rabbits?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
As the title says, can any diseases or anything be passed from rabbits to pet rats or from pet rats to rabbits? :wave:

As the title says, can any diseases or anything be passed from rabbits to pet rats or from pet rats to rabbits? :wave:

No - pet rats won't carry the diseases wild rats carry. Only thing I would say is that rats are predators so keep them apart as they may attack rabbits.

May seem daft but rats have certainly been known to kill chinchillas etc so always best to be careful. :wave: xx

Thankyou very much, don't worry I will not be letting my pet rats and rabbits interact with eachother. Is it ok to have rats and rabbits in the same environment? As in rats in their cage and buns near the cage/can go up to the cage? My buns live outside and my rats inside but I'm just wondering :wave:

Thankyou very much, don't worry I will not be letting my pet rats and rabbits interact with eachother. Is it ok to have rats and rabbits in the same environment? As in rats in their cage and buns near the cage/can go up to the cage? My buns live outside and my rats inside but I'm just wondering :wave:

Ratties can nip through bars and they have a surprisingly long reach with their little arms too - so I'd be wary. Most cages would be on a stand or you'd have them on a table anyway though so not likely to be that accessible. I'd certainly try to make sure they couldn't touch noses - as ratties can be pretty territorial lol. ;) xx

Rats are lovely pets. Miss mine lots and fully intend to have them again when I can.

I'm a bit late to be asking this really :oops: But one of my buns became ill last week and I had to bring them both indoors in the same room as my rats. Gordon becoming ill was so sudden I couldn't do this research before hand. When they were out of their temporary cage I kept them away from my two rats cage. Just wanted to ask these questions incase they ever need to be brought in again. They are back in their shed now by the way. So having rabbits and rats in the same room but kept apart from eachother obviously is fine? I know how surprisingly far rats can reach, my trousers were hung up once a distance what I thought was far away but no, they had a hole at the bttom what my rats had shred!

i've heard of guinea pigs being very scared when kept in the same room as rats. some rabbits may be the same??

My rats and rabbits acted as they usually would, never made any attempt to get near eachother or acting differently.

So having rabbits and rats in the same room but kept apart from eachother obviously is fine? I know how surprisingly far rats can reach, my trousers were hung up once a distance what I thought was far away but no, they had a hole at the bttom what my rats had shred!

Yes. I had rats, chinchillas, degus, guinea pigs and rabbits all together in the same room. With the use of lots of Correx no-one ever 'met' anyone else lol and none of the animals' seemed bothered by each others presence. My ratties were old by this time though and not nearly as active as they used to be.

I plan to move my piggies' downstairs before I get rats as young rats seem virtually impossible to 'contain' lol.

Oh and I learnt about how far a ratty can reach in the same way! Can't remember what they stole and shredded but it was some garment or other. Naughty ratties! :lol: :lol:

I have my frogs and rats in the same room too but they don't notice eachother! I wouldn't let any of my different species pets 'meet' eachother. My two are young girls, they never stop but weren't interested in the buns or anything :)

Back