• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Everything You Know About E. Cuniculi

kstevens7

Young Bun
I am now convinced that Riley's horribly stressful stasis episode last week and the immunosuppressing effect of that has lead to an influx of e. cuniculi (which, clearly, she aready had without me knowing about). After a little research I figured out it was a parasite any as many as 50% of house rabbits have it and it can be passed from mother to child, and from rabbit to rabbit from infected hay. Does this mean Roger will have it too now?

I have ordered Lapizole online to treat Riley, but I have seen this won't cure her. What I would like to know is as to whether it will at least cure her symptoms? She has head tilt, has been a little unstable (I have seen her stumble three times) and her appetite has decreased. While she is happily still munching hay and treats, she is avoiding her pellets and has lost too much weight. I'm really worried about her.

So just tell me what you guys know! Thank you so much.

she needs to see a bunny savvy vet-EC needs NSAID's as well cos its the inflammatory response by the body which causes the problems.

If they are together I would treat both of them with a 28 day course.

How much it will improve the symptoms depends on the damage already done. You really need to get your bunny to a vet asap, as Daisylop says anti inflammatories are an important part of the treatment as the damage done by the parasite does cause inflammation in the area so reducing that also can improve symptoms.

has a vet actually diagnosed EC, has an ear infection been ruled out?

I'm sorry to hear your bun is unwell. I hope you can get some answers and the support you need from the forum. :)

Agree with what's been said. Your bunny needs to see a vet asap. You should ask for antibiotics just in case its a ear infection causing the tilt and pain relief like metacam as we all know how much earache hurts! Same for buns too. :(

You should also get a 28 day course of panacur and treat all buns. If your bun is already on pain relief - metacam for the possible ear infection he / she will also be on the right meds for e cuniculi as this helps with the inflamation caused in the brain hence the headtilt etc.

My understanding is you hit e cuniculi hard and quickly as the sooner the right medication is given, the less chance of long term neurological damage.

Everything possible that the bun comes in to contact with should be washed with a bleach solution - 9 parts water, one part bleach and yes, it must be bleach not a disinfectant. The solution should be left on for a minimum of 30 seconds to kill the ec spores before being thoroughly rinsed with clean water.

This bleaching should be done days 21 and 28. I couldn't work out the dates so bleached every few days. The spores can live for 28-30 days outside the body.
Often ec buns get worse before they get better but please hang in there as they can and do make excellent recoveries - in fact most recover so I am told if they get the right treatment.:)
Keep the bun eating, you may find you will have to tempt them with 'nicey' food and also help them to drink.

I would say a rabbit savvy vet is a must too - it will save you a lot of heartache, bunny suffering and money in the long run.

Good luck to you and your buns! :wave:
Ruth (and Buttercup who has made a 100% recovery from severe headtilt!!)

Thanks everyone for your help. I guess its back off to the vet we go - granted that wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear, but you know. Oh the joys of a massive overdraft.

Thanks

Back