• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Removing Teeth - advice needed

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Can you teeth knowledgable help my friend please?

Can I ask what you think I should do? Holly went to the vets this wk and had to go under anaesthetic again to have her teeth trimmed as they were curling around and they wanted to check the back teeth. She said though that she wants her back in a week cos she is going to take out her front 4 teeth to stop the problem once and for all. It means she wont have any front teeth, the vet said she will take a fair bit of nursing for a few wks after as she will have to learn to eat again. I have no problem nursing her if thats best- it all sounds abit traumatic for a 6yr old rabbit though- what do you think? cos she wont have any front teeth she will have to learn to pick up her food with her gums and then use back teeth?
she said they can go down hill quickly if they dont eat which is why I will need to nurse her.
the other option i am thinking is I dont let them take them out, swop vets and continue to take her every 10 wks to go under anaesthetic and have her teeth trimmed- which anaesthetic has its risks but doesnt sound so dramatic?
what would you do?

I would say that bunnies learn very quickly to eat without front teeth. Normally it is a struggle for them to eat with them being out of line so its easier for them once they are gone :) Bunny will just need veg cut up.

I would want to check she is healthy in all other respects before under going such a big op, but if everything is Ok it should really improve her life.

However if you decide to go for the front teeth burring on a regular basis, this shouldn't need a GA each time. Incisors can be trimmed easily without a GA, it is only needed for molars :)

I have a bunny with no front teeth and believe me... he does not struggle to eat anything!! As already said probably better without them than struggling with them.
Good Luck

Cally one of the bunnies who was here had to get her front teeth removed. She recovered very quickly despite being a very tiny/skinny rabbit. She picked up her appetite straight away.

We also own a bunny who due to some strange reason does not have any front teeth too.

With both bunnies they're fed on small pellets like Burgess excel, I find giving them short hay is a lot easier, so I tend to cut up Betty's hay to make it nice and short. Monitoring their weight is also a good idea.

When it comes to vegetables just cut up in tiny pieces the same size as the food. You can also grate carrots when you want to give your bunny the odd treat.

Make sure you get recovery food and a feeding syringe from your vets, they don't cost much and it'll be hand to have even if your bunny does not need them as you may end up needing them in the future.

Best of luck to you both. xxx

I'm a massive advocator of having bunny's teeth removed in this situation. I had Grace's front 4 teeth removed and she bounced back straight away and her eating was actually better with no teeth than it was beforehand.

She was a year old and her teeth grew straight out of her mouth. She manages her Science Selective pellets, hay and herbs fine, I only have to grate veg like carrots for her and really they are only a treat she doesn't need them.

I also have a bun with his front teeth removed.
He has had the op done twice as they grew back in!
Now he has peg teeth that STILL grow back in and he needs them burred every so often.

He manages fine, eats eveything the same as my other bun, all i have to do different for him is cut up the veg :)

I also have a bun with his front teeth removed.
He has had the op done twice as they grew back in!
Now he has peg teeth that STILL grow back in and he needs them burred every so often.

He manages fine, eats eveything the same as my other bun, all i have to do different for him is cut up the veg :)

Hermans peg teeth have grown back 4 times now :roll:

Herman and toby had theres removed and thay are 8 and 7 years. we have it done a lot to older buns. But ultimately it would be the vets decision based on the rabbits over all health.

Personally all things being equal I would prefer a one off removal than continuous GA's if thats whats really needed.

Sorry not Jane :oops:

Herman and toby had theres removed and thay are 8 and 7 years. we have it done a lot to older buns. But ultimately it would be the vets decision based on the rabbits over all health.

Personally all things being equal I would prefer a one off removal than continuous GA's if thats whats really needed.

Sorry not Jane :oops:

completely agree, to me continuous teeth trims would be far more traumatic than a one-off removal :wave: as long as there are no other health problems and the vet is happy to remove I would go for the removal

Thanks guys!
Must admit my first thought was 'no' as it seems a major operation when she is pretty old. Would it really be bad for her to continue having an anesthetic instead?

Would you advise she have it done Jane?

If the Incisors need attention frequently then yes. I had a 7 year old Rabbit who, after a lifetime of no Dental problems, suddenly developed malocclusion. She had her Incisors removed and coped really well :)

Removing the Incisors will not necessarily prevent or slow progression of molar malocclusion. So the Bun may still require Dentals if her molars are also effected.

See, my Herbie is always fine when he gets his teeth burred, he just gets it done while he is awake, he is no trouble. But if it stressed him out then i would put him through the op again.

So just depends on bunny really.

I also agree with removal. Frequent GAs can be dangerous too and rabbits do well without their front teeth. She probably can't use them very well if they're that bad anyway. But beware regrowth, if the vet misses a little bit of tooth they can regrow and may have to removed again, but it's still better than constant trimming.

Just make sure the rabbit has access to small pellets like excel (possibly junior) and you can grate carrot, and chop most veg into bunny bite sized pieces. Dexter, my sister's rabbit, had his teeth removed but refuses to eat small food. He insists that all his cabbage is in large pieces and just shoves it all in his mouth. :lol:

My french lop had his front teeth removed when he was nearly two. He was having them burred without any problems but then they started needing doing every 3 weeks. They also they started to effect his molars and putting them out of alignment so reluctantly I agreed to having them done. He has been so much better with out them and started eating coriander and soft leaves the same night. He has no problems eating as I cut his spring greens in strips and he manages his hay ok. He has been so much better without the constant checking and vet visits.X

Back