• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP Bonding Advice Needed!

I have just attempted to bond my two male and female rabbits - they are spayed and neutered. I have started in the bath, and they were fine for about 10 minutes and then there was a big fight. I have now separated them. Should I put them back together or should I wait? Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

What preparations have you made?

Can you tell us more about how you introduced the bunnies, what's in the bath etc?

Personally, I don't like bath bondings - bunnies are going to be very scared as they can't see anything and it's too slippery. A puppy pen or indoor cage base with a pen round would be much better IMO.

If you'd like my leaflet on how I do my bondings I can e-mail it over if you message me on therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk - it's too long to post on here.

Helen

Hi :wave:
How long is it since they were spayed/neutered?
Was it a proper fight or was it just nipping and abit of a scuffle?

In the bath there were towels down to help prevent slipping and some hay. The problem is the female Bumble, who was spayed over a week ago and her stitches are healed, they will be fine for about 10 minutes then she will start nipping him, he, Bernie who has been neutered for about a month, will either ignore her or try and get away but then she started full on biting him and he retaliated and she then latched onto him which is when i got him out the bath. I've checked him over and he is fine now, flopped out in my room, so I don't know whether to leave them separate or try again?

As i live in a flat with 2 other bonded bunnies there is only the bathroom and kitchen that are neutral spaces.

Thank you.

In the bath there were towels down to help prevent slipping and some hay. The problem is the female Bumble, who was spayed over a week ago and her stitches are healed, they will be fine for about 10 minutes then she will start nipping him, he, Bernie who has been neutered for about a month, will either ignore her or try and get away but then she started full on biting him and he retaliated and she then latched onto him which is when i got him out the bath. I've checked him over and he is fine now, flopped out in my room, so I don't know whether to leave them separate or try again?

As i live in a flat with 2 other bonded bunnies there is only the bathroom and kitchen that are neutral spaces.

Thank you.

I really don't think you've left it long enough, both of them will still be hormonal:wave:

And Duchess, would it be okay if I emailed you for a copy of the bonding leaflet?:D

I really don't think you've left it long enough, both of them will still be hormonal:wave:

And Duchess, would it be okay if I emailed you for a copy of the bonding leaflet?:D

Absolutely. It's quite long and it's not the only way to bond but it is the way I do it and it seems to work.

Hope it helps.

Absolutely. It's quite long and it's not the only way to bond but it is the way I do it and it seems to work.

Hope it helps.

It's very useful Duchess, thank you :) (it was me who emailed for it earlier too!)

@pinkyanbrain222- it's recommended that you leave at least 6 weeks before bonding for the hormones to die down. I think you need to wait a bit longer first, and then try again like suggested in Duchess' leaflet?

i agree that you need to give your female longer to let her hormones settle.

i tried to re bond Blousy after 6 weeks and it was too soon, i ended up leaving it another 6 weeks and it went much better this time.
also if she fights and her stitches are caught it will be another trip to the vets.

hope both are ok and it works out for you eventually. :)

Back