• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really struggling with Badger's gut. Any advice or anything, anyone?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I don't know what else to do for Badger. Any ideas or anything at all would be very welcome.

Badger had a dental on Tuesday and since coming back has not been great.

He's normally a great hay eater but until today, probably hasn't eaten any hay.

He will eat Excel Junior pellets, and fresh (mainly basil, parsley and carrot tops, he will also take grass, but I'm wary of this due to the richness of it).

When he came home from his dental he had very odd shaped poos. Over Wednesday night he started producing unformed stinky poo, alongside the normal poo. He produced maybe three of these. He has prduced roughly three of these every day since.

We tried pro fibre pellets, and now he is having bio-lapis.

He is tucking in and eating well, but his output is not great and his tummy seems 'full' (or want of a better word, maybe my vet might use 'doughy' like his gut is slow?). He's 'ticklish' but when I was gently massaging his whole tummy he was quite comfortable.

He's on oral steroids, but the vet has suggested that if he is in pain to alternate days of steroids and Metacam (yes- we know how risky). Aside from the risks of doing that, he needs the steroids to live, so I'm reluctant to do this.

Generally he is bright and running around, but does anyone have any suggestions? A vet trip will happen if necessary, but each trip to the vets nearly kills him (we end up with mouth breathing and all sorts) so we have to try and avoid those at all costs.

If I can get rid of these stinky poos and speed his gut up, that would be awesome.

Also, in helpful Badger style, he doesn't want to know blackberry leaves, be them fresh, or dry.

Sorry no real advice (I myself am dealing with Pie's constant battle with gut problems) I just hope Badger improves. :( :love:

Is he on Ranitidine ? I would think that oral steroids put him at risk of GI tract ulceration :?

Will he eat bramble leaves ?

Is he on Ranitidine ? I would think that oral steroids put him at risk of GI tract ulceration :?

Will he eat bramble leaves ?

No he's not. Is that gut motility?

Nope, he won't touch them, dried or fresh. Currently he is quite happily nomming grass though.

Sorry no advice, just wanted to send vibes and support for you and Badger :love: xxxxxxxx

Have you tried him on Dill by the way? Its supposed to be great for gut problems, VickiP did a thread on it not long ago :wave:

Sorry no advice, just wanted to send vibes and support for you and Badger :love: xxxxxxxx

Have you tried him on Dill by the way? Its supposed to be great for gut problems, VickiP did a thread on it not long ago :wave:

Nope. Never tried dill. I don't know where I would get it though. I've never seen it sold- just the ones I buy, mint, thyme and coriander (in those flower pots- growing. I've never bought the precut ones).

Again no advice sorry but just want to send some get well vibes for Badger xxxx

Nope. Never tried dill. I don't know where I would get it though. I've never seen it sold- just the ones I buy, mint, thyme and coriander (in those flower pots- growing. I've never bought the precut ones).

Hmm, maybe you could buy some seeds from a garden centre and grow your own? Thats what I have to do coz as you say its pretty scarce in the supermarkets.
Does Badger eat Mint? X

Hmm, maybe you could buy some seeds from a garden centre and grow your own? Thats what I have to do coz as you say its pretty scarce in the supermarkets.
Does Badger eat Mint? X

That's a good idea.

Nope. :lol: He's not helpful like that.

That's a good idea.

Nope. :lol: He's not helpful like that.

Oooh the little monkey :roll::lol:

Not sure what else to suggest Im sorry hun :? you seem to be doing everything possible to help him. Maybe as Jane suggested some Ranitidine or Metacloperamide to get things moving? X

Ranitidine acts in two ways, one to reduce GI tract acidity (which would be of benefit if there is any ulceration) and the other to increase motility in the hind gut.

Thank you Jane :) If I get to a point where he definitely needs help, I'll ask for that.

For the sake of reference, these are the poos he has produced since I've gotten him out to run around. They are about 4 times the size they were on Wednesday and also a much more normal shape.

20110305_8.jpg

He's very, very bright right now :D

On mobile.at mo.so only read original.post.
Similar prob with. Eric. and his dental 2 weeks ago.won't eat hay so poops. scanty.

WIll read through properly later but just off to track. down more dill as he'll eat that plus. pellets but not much else.

Back