• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding: DIY or Professional?

How should I go about bonding them?

• DIY (Do It Yourself) at home

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Professional (Send them away for bonding at a rescue)

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Don't bond them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please state) NOTE: I AM NOT ALLOWED ANY MORE BUNNIES.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hellsdarkrose

Warren Veteran
I have 2 lovely girlies who are both neutered. At present they are singles but they were previously bonded for a period of 2 weeks at which one became ill and I think that coupled with too much space too soon caused fighting.

I tried bonding them again last July but it was a disaster with fighting within minutes. However I think that this was because the cage I was bonding them in although neutral was in a room which was Radish's territory.

I am considering one final attempt at bonding them which OH isn't keen on. I don't know whether to try again myself or do it professionally and wondered what RU thought might be best.

Also a little more info is that Waffle has a sensitive tummy and gets stasis often and must have no hard feed as it was believed to be the cause. She also is a little hump happy when they are put together which annoys Radish a little :roll:

You've said you made mistakes before and you've identified what they are so I personally would have one more go myself before passing them on to someone else.

That said, if you'd rather not have the stress or don't feel confident, there's no harm in asking someone else to do it.

for me ill never attempt bonding myself.. i will always go the professional route.

so i voted professional :wave:

As Battlekat said, you've identified reasons why bonding has failed previously so I think it's definitely worth having another go.

I'm a bit of a bonding wimp though :oops: and, given that your OH isn't keen on you even attempting to bond again, I voted for sending them to a rescue.

If this is to be the last attempt, then it would be nice to give it the best possible chance of success - with somebody who has done plenty of bondings and can read all the signals (both to tell if it's going to work and also to keep a close eye on Waffle and her tummy troubles).

I bonded my rabbits myself, but I would say if you feel really scared to try again you are probably better off getting someone else to do it:wave:

I've always done my own bondings but I think if I tried and it wasn't successful I would probably ask a rescue to bond for me.

I know I would worry about them while they were there and I hate the idea of my fur babies being away from me, but if it was the only chance they had of being together and loved up, I would like to think I would take it.

Do you know anyone local who is experience in bonding who could come and help you? That is the option I would really like myself. I find bonding stressful, lonely and actually very boring. I would really like to have someone to help me - it would be more fun then:)

If anyone lives anywhere near me - Havant in Hampshire - I would be happy to come and help with bondings.

I would go down the professional route personally. I will be doing this with Pie and Oberon next weekend as Pie got bloat today from the stress of fighting with Obie.
At least then you know the person will and can do everything possible which you may not know how or when to do. :wave:

I think you should do it professionally :D
I had the same story as you, my buns are both neutered males they were fine until their bond broke.
I tried bonding them which failed, then I found someone here on RU and they bonded them for me.
I picked them up yesterday and they are settling in quite well.
:D

I have two buns and I would love someone to help bond them. Both are RSPCA rescues. Oscar is about two, big and very gentle. Daphne is probably about 6-8 months and very lively, but friendly. They sniff each other and groom through the run but went for each other instantly when we tried them together. Oscar seems to prefer human company and will snuggle on my knee for two hours and not so much as blink.

I live on the Wirral, if anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it.

Ive always bonded my own buns.. some have taken longer than others but always been succesful in the end.
I would probably give it another go to be honest now you know where you went wrong

Back