• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear mites - questions

weedug

Mama Doe
If one bun gets them, do all the buns who have been near but not in contact need treated?

When he is out in a wooden run, will the run be fine for other buns to use if moved to a different spot?

What should I be using to clean his cage and the carrier he has been in?

And last one, what is the best thing to use to clean around his cage?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to end up with all the buns needing treatment. The bun in question is getting treatment from the vet.

Yes I would treat all rabbits.

I'd be careful about them using the wooden run.

I would use a 1 part bleach 9 parts water solution to clean everything he's been in.

It's the same like when worming the bun. Bleach now, then bleach on day 21 and day 28. Dawn had ear mites when she was young and I used a home remedy and it worked just fine.

Not all the buns will get them. It depends. I've had a dog get ear mites before and nobody else got them, not the other dogs, cats, or rabbits.

Dawn had ear mites when she was young and I used a home remedy and it worked just fine.

What home remedy did you use? I'm worried Timmy has ear mites because I've seen him itching his ears but he doesn't have any symptoms of ear mites besides itching. And I've thought him and other rabbits had ear mites in the past when they didn't so I'm not sure if I"m just worrying... :?

Not all the buns will get them. It depends. I've had a dog get ear mites before and nobody else got them, not the other dogs, cats, or rabbits.

What home remedy did you use? I'm worried Timmy has ear mites because I've seen him itching his ears but he doesn't have any symptoms of ear mites besides itching. And I've thought him and other rabbits had ear mites in the past when they didn't so I'm not sure if I"m just worrying... :?

If its the ear mites on the surface (not the inside but outside) then dab a bit of vegetable oil on the afflicted area once a day for 28 days. Bleach cage on day 1, 21 and 28. The oil suffocates the mites. This is what my vet at the time told me to do as my ex was very tight with our money :roll: :censored:

:wave: A couple of years ago one of mine had earmites. She was given injections at the vets as her treatment. My other bun didn't get them.:)

For treating the others, do I just give them one treatment since it is a preventative? The vet gave me xeno 450 for the infected bun.

Back