• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homemade Hutch/Run. Opinions please :) Includes Video

BexPets

Warren Scout
Right I've sort of uncovered part of the run and put a ramp up, and another one down so the bunnies can come out into a pen between the gate and the back of the garge (which is rabbit proof, don't worry!)
The Rex Otter is 3 years old, and the two smaller ones are 3 months. Their names are Dinah, and the young ones Yoda and Munchkin (who are looking for homes.)
The hutch is in the garage, and the run comes out of the front and bends round, attaching onto a shop-bought run. We put a ramp up onto the shop bought run, and then if they go across the wood they can go down another ramp into the concrete area which is a great size for running about and free of cats.

Please note that it's tidying day today, and all the hutches are being cleaned and the ground swept. It's been quite windy so some blankets and things have fallen off the hutches: the video doesn't reflect what it usually looks like ;)

(Other buns come out into that play area for a few hours a day, from their hutches, so the ground's a bit messy. The majority of the occupants of the rest of the hutches are currently in runs on the grass.)

Opinions welcomed :)

Yeah, buns look happy and content with all the nooks and crannies to explore! I like having multi-levels for them especially in a confined are, as mine are, gives more surface area for them to exersize on. I couldn't see how you have fastened the plank on top of the run; I'd probably either drill a couple of holes and cable tie it or screw on a couple of wedges that would hold it in place between the bars (counter screw ofcourse lol, am just learning to play with ..er..'mens toys'!:lol::lol::lol:)...:D

The ladders are only for daytime so they're held up by bricks at the bottom and are only leaning on the run. I'm awful at D.I.Y anyway :lol:
At night the open air bit is covered, and the garage door is half-closed to keep them dry and (hopefully) warm, but they have 24/7 access to their run.
Also, their hutch is next to the hay bales, so they only have to reach through the bars to pull through hay whenever they're hungry :)

Back