• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscess on Nose?

PixieRabbit

Mama Doe
Betty (our rabbit) has always had weird teeth. We've been to the vets numerous times. Her incisors were never there from the age of 3/4 months, and she only ever had peg teeth. So I've always monitored that she was eating, monitored her weight and she's been very happy in her lifestyle, she binkies and grooms and gets groomed.

For the past week and a bit her nose has went all funny, I've had her on metacam 4 drops daily, and I clean her nose area with warm salty water (cooled down kettle water). She has no peg teeth no front teeth at all. One side of her molars is perfect the other they're growing in wonky.

She's had some more anti-biotic's today (injection) and we're back in again on Tuesday. Plan to put her under on Friday have a look around her mouth, see what needs doing and do it.

Vet's got me real worried, mentioning tumours. As some of you know Betty is Flopsi's daughter and we helped raise her from the day she was born. We're very close with Betty as we are with her mom and sisters. I need to keep a level head but it's hard.

One possibility was that her front teeth are trying to grow out the front of her nose area. She mentioned pts, but Betty seems so happy and normal despite the weird scab on her nose. We're both in agreement we'll only put her to sleep if she gets like what Dolly did. (she had an abscess in the mouth)

Any idea's, or similar stories please share. Sorry that this is rather long. :oops:

Will try get photo's of her today to show you what I mean. It's like her nose has been stretched away and there's a scab there. I'll take photo's when I bring her in for her metacam and clean up.

My Gypsy had an abscess in her nose. Her top incisors don't grow either (one fell out and hasn't grown back).

I don't have any pics of how the abscess looked, although I have to say it wasn't much to look at...just a bulge, no hair loss or anything.

I took pics after the abscess was removed...they at least show where her abscess was located. See post 61 on this thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=250456

It's difficult to say whether the infection started in her nose or in her tooth roots.

I will take photo's later on she is still in a grump with me from taking her to the vets at the moment. :lol:

She doesn't have any discharge like that.

Our Minnie had an abscess up her nasal passages at the beginning of the year :( We treat her with zithromax antibiotic for a week & then she went into have her nasal passages flushed out. We continued with zithromax for a further 10 days & now she's as right as rain :)

Zithromax isn't injectible & can only be given orally - but we've had some great results using it :) It's not licenced for use in bunnies & is a human drug, but our vet is happy for us to use it, so long as we're aware of the risks of using off licence drugs. Might be worth a mention to your vet for Betty?

Lots & lots of vibes for her xxx

Our Minnie had an abscess up her nasal passages at the beginning of the year :( We treat her with zithromax antibiotic for a week & then she went into have her nasal passages flushed out. We continued with zithromax for a further 10 days & now she's as right as rain :)

Zithromax isn't injectible & can only be given orally - but we've had some great results using it :) It's not licenced for use in bunnies & is a human drug, but our vet is happy for us to use it, so long as we're aware of the risks of using off licence drugs. Might be worth a mention to your vet for Betty?

Lots & lots of vibes for her xxx

Thank you I will write that in my phone to mention whilst at vets.

Though I'm sure the infection is due to her teeth cutting into the skin sadly :cry:

I'm so scared for her, she's our baby, we've always been overly attached to Betty. She's is a complete clutz and an utter darling. :oops: :cry:

Back