• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit choosing a friend - how does it work?

weeble

I have seen a lot of people say that there bun is going to a rescue and is going to choose his/her friend. Just wondering how it works? I have only ever chosen my buns by discussing personality and suitability with Chloe (at fatfluffs not my bun that would be weird)

I'm not sure I understand the question, the answer seems so obvious :?

OK, I had Muppet (single neutered male) and wanted to get him a friend. To my mind, it doesnt really matter if I liked a rabbit, the point was whether he liked her since the object was to have a pair of rabbits together. My only stipulation was that the other rabbit must be suitable as a house rabbit (ie, amenable to litter training and not destructive).

In 'choosing' a friend, Muppet was introduced to two or three females. This took place over a period of time, not all at once! The first one went for him, the second one he went for... etc and none of them seemed a 'natural fit'. Then he met Sooty, they seemed to like each other and so bonding commenced. Muppet chose his friend and they lived happily ever after :D

I think that's what people mean by letting their rabbit choosing a friend, as opposed to the other way round where someone chooses a rabbit and hopes it and their existing rabbit can be bonded.

I dont know who it was on here, who was doing something with the buns and another just managed to walk in and the next thing the bunny mummy knew, was a duo had become a trio!!
Now thats choosing friends!!!!!!

how Lou does it at hopper haven.....

She sort of knows what bunnies are likely to match yours and then tries a bond, she also gets a feeling (from many years of experience) whether a bond will work or not early on, almost like a rabbit whisperer :D

she has been spot on twice with Alvin and only had two who she thought might but rejected him and one of them was just after his op so i think he was pretty unbondable at that time... Alvins problem is he is TOO entusiastic and needs a nice submissive girl.

when he went after pearl died she had loads of girls but the one who was a possible said no and she knew without trying the others would also fail if tried.

Holly was in the right crate at the right time and they were a dream bond :love:

She sort of knows what bunnies are likely to match yours and then tries a bond, she also gets a feeling (from many years of experience) whether a bond will work or not early on, almost like a rabbit whisperer

Which is more or less what happened with Muppet. Kay (kayj) had always said Sooty and he would be a good match but at the time Sooty was paired with an elderly Netherland dwarf who seemed to be trying to live forever...!!! :lol: So we tried Muppet with the others, then Sooty's elderly partner died and, hey presto, Muppet and Sooty took to each other brilliantly.

Which is more or less what happened with Muppet. Kay (kayj) had always said Sooty and he would be a good match but at the time Sooty was paired with an elderly Netherland dwarf who seemed to be trying to live forever...!!! :lol: So we tried Muppet with the others, then Sooty's elderly partner died and, hey presto, Muppet and Sooty took to each other brilliantly.

this is why i will always go to a rescue for a bun, i know my luck if i picked a pal they would hate each other :lol:

holly and alvin really did pick each other too... she was on hunger strike when i dropped him off and Lou had no intention of giving me another possible illness bunny.. but she perked up loads and he was just as happy to meet her... before the bond was attempted they was lying at the bars of the crates together :love:

Back