• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Got my hay(PLease can someone help with the second post on my thread lady needs HELP)

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
I am so chuffed I went and got my hay today, the farmer and his wife were so lovely and she keeps guinea pigs too:love: I got 4 bales but could of got more in, so I might go back tomorrow. I took some pictures(look in stories and photo's):lol::lol::lol: the hay for the buns is lovely and green and altogether 4 bales cost me £14 so a real bargain:love:

Last edited:
Omg! Help!

My rabbit gave birth about 5-6 days ago and she keeps on trampling all over her babies, I heard a loud squeak from the inside of the box where the babies were born and so I separated the babies and mother:oops: is that the wrong thing to do? I'm hand-rearing them now and giving them warm human semi skimmed milk, they're fine but...did I do the right thing? :bunny:

Dont suppose you've got the name of the place handy? We're going to be making a trip to huntingdon tomorrow and it'd be great if we could get some hay while we're up that way.

My rabbit gave birth about 5-6 days ago and she keeps on trampling all over her babies, I heard a loud squeak from the inside of the box where the babies were born and so I separated the babies and mother:oops: is that the wrong thing to do? I'm hand-rearing them now and giving them warm human semi skimmed milk, they're fine but...did I do the right thing? :bunny:

You need to start a thread in rabbit chat so people can advise you. I am no expert but you mustn't seperate the mum from the babies, she will be feeding them when you are not looking. Please start another thread so people can help xxx

I definately woudln't separate them. The best thing for them is their mother and their mothers milk. Again i'm not an expert but i know in a lot of animal species the mothers are never that careful to the babies! But the best place for them is with the mum.

best place for the babies is with mum, littlies do squeak and mumbuns do tend to stand over them (the babies feed by laying on their back under mum)
Not sure how long you have had them away from mum for but she may not have them back now.
Babies should be fed kitten milk (get from a vets) or goats milk I believe, I really dont think that semi skimmed cows milk will have the fat or all the nutrients they need. A rabbits milk is very very rich and mumbun only feeds them once or twice a day, cows milk just wont have the same nutrient value.
They are at high risk of getting tummy upsets too that can be fatal. You could do with getting some probiotic pwder from a vet too and sprinkling this in their feed.
Best thing to do IMO is contact a bunny savvy vet in your area and ask for their advice.
If you are unsure which vets are good with rabbits near you if you post your general area i'm sure someone could recommend one.
ETA if they havent been away from her long I really would put them back in the nest and give them a rub over with some bedding that smells of mumbun. If they have been away from her longer than a day or so I really dont know, as i said, get a vets advice.

best place for the babies is with mum, littlies do squeak and mumbuns do tend to stand over them (the babies feed by laying on their back under mum)
Not sure how long you have had them away from mum for but she may not have them back now.
Babies should be fed kitten milk (get from a vets) or goats milk I believe, I really dont think that semi skimmed cows milk will have the fat or all the nutrients they need. A rabbits milk is very very rich and mumbun only feeds them once or twice a day, cows milk just wont have the same nutrient value.
They are at high risk of getting tummy upsets too that can be fatal. You could do with getting some probiotic pwder from a vet too and sprinkling this in their feed.
Best thing to do IMO is contact a bunny savvy vet in your area and ask for their advice.
If you are unsure which vets are good with rabbits near you if you post your general area i'm sure someone could recommend one.
ETA if they havent been away from her long I really would put them back in the nest and give them a rub over with some bedding that smells of mumbun. If they have been away from her longer than a day or so I really dont know, as i said, get a vets advice.

I agree with this (with the exception of the bit in italics. nothing we have comes close to giving them all they need, as fairy said. The best thing is mum's milk, but those mentioned and also various mixes of different things can proide some substitute but not enough). Babies also squeak when they are hungry and excited.

How long have you had them apart?

Please don't feed any more goats milk.

Are you wiping each bunny to encourage it to go to the toilet?

Mummy bunnies arent like cats or dogs and dont lie with their young to feed-they stand over them,they also can appear to be ignoring them-spending long time away from the nest-in the wild it keeps the young safe as it doesnt draw attention to the nest.Cows milk isnt suitable for kits as rabbit milk is very rich.I'd ask for veterinary advice.:(

Back