• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

boarding article for ref section

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Can you help us make a boarding article for the reference section?

What questions should bunny owners ask when choosing boarding?
What should they look for when visiting a boarding service?
Any other tips on selecting somewhere good?

Thanks! :D

Do you provide indoor and outdoor accommodation?

What size is the accommodation?

Are cages secure, have bolts, weldmesh etc.?

Do you take un vaccinated animals?

Which vets do you use should there be the need?

Do we need to bring own foodstuffs, if not what do you feed and when?

How often are rabbits checked?

Do you use grass based runs? Preferably not due to the passing of disease such as EC..exercise areas should be hard based which can be thoroughly disinfected between guests

How do you clean hutches , bowls, toys between guests? Should be sterilised or disinfected with a vet strength solution

How much do you charge?

Do you mind if we come and look round before we book?

and then of course do visit people can say anything on the telephone or post any pictures on the web that may or may not be accurate. If you wait until you take your pets in then find things are not as they should be you could find your holiday cancelled

and recommendation from other owners always helps

Last edited:
Can you help us make a boarding article for the reference section?

What questions should bunny owners ask when choosing boarding?
What should they look for when visiting a boarding service?
Any other tips on selecting somewhere good?

Thanks! :D

Can they provide references?
What experience do they have?
What would they do in certain circumstances eg bun not eat fighting etc
Where will the buns be living? On what sort of bedding? How often cleaned out and disinfected?
What exercise will they have? And where?
Will they be cleaned out?
How close will they be to other buns? Will they be able to see them?
How much do they charge and what does this include?
Do they have the same food as your bun is on? If not will they get it or does the owner provide? And if so does this affect the price?

I think Honeybunny has said everything I would say, but what I will add that isn't a question to ask is...

The first person that comes along isn't always the best one. ALWAYS go to the boarder to check them out or at the very least ask for references from other customers, as honeybunny says pictures can be inaccurate our outdated.

Many people think its easy to just say "I do boarding", and especially when it comes to indoor, it isnt as simple as saying "they can have free range in my room" - make sure you check it out.
What vet they use is crucial, and especially if they have an out of hours service or not.

If they have rescue bunnies also, how far away are they from boarders? The reason I say this is because I wouldnt accept sick animals that could be contagious, so if a rescue had sick animals they would have to show me how theres no chance my rabbit could catch anything. (not saying you cant have a rescue and do boarding but the guidelines have to be very clear)

Any decent place will let you come around and have a look, have a chat with you and put your mind at rest. :wave:

Agree with what's already been said. Also
What arrangements do you have for emergency veterinary care - not just what vets you go to but how do you get there, especially if the boarder doesn't drive...and if that's the case, who pays for the taxi?

As well as general info about disinfecting etc, how do you clean indoor accommodation between guests (especially if they are allowed free range time on carpet etc) or outdoor runs.

Do you board other types of animals, if so what and where are they kept in relation to the rabbits. Do you ever board ferrets. Are they kept in the same hutches.

Do you have any of your own animals in the household? If so what are they, and do they have opportunity to get near the boarders (e.g. dogs/cats in the garden).

What insurance do you have?

The most vital thing I think is to go and look before you book, even if it's a long way away. It's really easy to make websites look flashy and lovely and to be able to say all the right things, but you 100% need to see it yourself to decide whether or not you'd be happy to leave your babies there. Otherwise you risk turning up and finding that things are not what you thought. Then what? Cancel your holiday or leave your pets somewhere you're unhappy with?

It's also worth noting that as of 1 March this year, website advertising has become covered by the Advertising Standards Authority so if anyone visits anywhere which they feel is advertised in a misleading way online, you can complain to the ASA about it :)

Last edited:
Completely agree with you there, people just need to see whats on someone elses website and copy it, doesnt mean they are the same when you get there though.

I would also recommend seeing what they do in regards to medication, often we have a few bunnies here that have needed medication (it was santa that reminded me of this, she was SO good with her meds! :love: :love:) And is your boarder prepared to do that?

I didnt know that about websites, that is good news.

If in doubt , check it out.

IMO in the past few years, more and more people are enquiring about the so many areas covering the welfare of their bunnies.

Standards are rising........all for the good.

There will always be people who will be happy with the basic animal care.

If you really, really care, please take time to consider every every aspect concerning our bunny.

Last edited:
I agree with all the ideas so far.

Just thought of a few other things which might be useful.

Do they take any disabled bunnies? If so, have they any previous experience with them and their particular needs?

Ideally the boarding establishment should try to stick to the same feeding pattern as at home. This can vary quite considerably from bun to bun.

Any likes and dislikes of the buns.

Bowls and or bottles to be offered for water.

Are toys provided for their mental stimulation? Can some of their own be taken along?

How often will they have bottie checks?

If the bunny was to fall ill whilst the owner was away....heaven forbid, do they want to be contacted and kept upto date with what is happening?

Last edited:
Also, without being too down in the dumps, what they would do if your animal passed away is also important. We have a policy here that any animal that passes away is taken to Sunny Fields Pet Crematorium, and the pet is cremated but the ashes stay there until the owner collects them and pays for the bill, or they are delivered back to the home. It sounds awful but you have to think about it.

We once had someone's elderly guinea pig pass away here, his friend had died the week before and he was just very old, and the customer was a bit annoyed they had to pay for a cremation when they would have buried him, but they were on holiday for two weeks, and he died after four days here, there was nothing I could do except what I did.

So that is important.

Also, without being too down in the dumps, what they would do if your animal passed away is also important. We have a policy here that any animal that passes away is taken to Sunny Fields Pet Crematorium, and the pet is cremated but the ashes stay there until the owner collects them and pays for the bill, or they are delivered back to the home. It sounds awful but you have to think about it.

We once had someone's elderly guinea pig pass away here, his friend had died the week before and he was just very old, and the customer was a bit annoyed they had to pay for a cremation when they would have buried him, but they were on holiday for two weeks, and he died after four days here, there was nothing I could do except what I did.

So that is important.

A similar case scenario has happened to me in the past.

It is not pleasant broaching such a subject but, very important.

Try not to ask the questions in front of any children!!!!

A similar case scenario has happened to me in the past.

It is not pleasant broaching such a subject but, very important.

Try not to ask the questions in front of any children!!!!

I don't ever mention it, its in the terms and conditions and I make sure it has been read prior to booking, easier that way!

From an owner's point of view, I might want to make an arrangement that if a bun passes away - especially if it was unexpectedly - that they are taken to the vets for a post mortem rather than straight off for cremation - but I guess it's better to chat about that sort of thing and coming to an agreement before booking as well :)

From an owner's point of view, I might want to make an arrangement that if a bun passes away - especially if it was unexpectedly - that they are taken to the vets for a post mortem rather than straight off for cremation - but I guess it's better to chat about that sort of thing and coming to an agreement before booking as well :)

Oh yeh if someone wanted alternate arrangements that would of course be fine, and I would hope I would be able to speak to the owners before that would happen that they could say "i would like a PM done", within reason we can do what people require, we once drove a pet rat back to Southend so the grandma of the little girl who's it was could bury her under the tree in the garden and they just paid us for petrol etc, which we didnt mind as the little girl really wanted her under the tree with her other ratty.

Back