• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescuing rabbits

Alicia

Mama Doe
I've never got a pet from a rescue and I'm getting a pair of rescue rabbits in a couple of weeks. I emailed the rescue yesterday just to ask if me and my Mum could go and visit, and they asked us to fill in an online form, which we did and they said they'd phone us in a day or two to arrange a homecheck. Is it normal for a rescue to do a homecheck before you chose the rabbits? I thought we'd go to the rescue, see rabbits we liked, reserve them, do homecheck and then go get them? It doesn't really matter to me but I was just wondering if this was the same in most rescues. Also, how long does it normally take from the first email to getting the rabbits? I'm so excited :lol:

Yes this process is quite normal :D This is because the rescue will (or should) have a minimum standard for all rabbits although certain things may need to be considered for individual buns :) Therefore the homecheck needs to be done regardless of which rabbit(s) you are interested in.

Timescales will vary from one rescue to another :wave:

Some do homechecks before hand if the rabbits are in private accomadation :wave: It depends on the rescue for how long it takes :) x

Our RSPCA does a homecheck before reserving any rabbits. It prevents rabbits being reserved for a very long time and potentially missing good homes.

When it comes to the home check, make sure you are totally ready with the accommodation (make sure you have the hutch and run and it all ready to put rabbits in- minus the hutch contents like hay, etc).

Good luck :)

Thank you :) I think the hutch I'm going to order is ok but I've just sent them an email with a link to the hutch I want to get to make sure they think it's ok, and if it is I'll order it and build it ready for the homecheck. So excited!! :D

Some rescues have regular opening times so you can visit and see all the rabbits they have available before you are home checked. Good luck hope all goes well.:D

When we got Harvey from the RSPCA in Wallasey, Wirral we were able to reserve him then I sent in lots of photos of our garden and how secure it was and we were able to pick him up from there. We then had a homecheck to see how he was settling in.

They were short of homecheckers at the time so this was a solution! I was desperate to get him!!! :lol:

Thank you :) I think the hutch I'm going to order is ok but I've just sent them an email with a link to the hutch I want to get to make sure they think it's ok, and if it is I'll order it and build it ready for the homecheck. So excited!! :D

That's a good idea - we ask those who are thinking of getting a new or replacement hutch to give us the details so that we can help them to make the right choice ;) It saves a lot of expensive mistakes :)

It's worth asking people on here what they think too, there is a wealth of experience and importantly you can find out which ones to avoid :wave:

The run we have is a bit too small, so I'm planning to exercise them indoors for a couple of hours each day in an unheated room or they might be living in an old playhouse that I have in the garden which is really big, I'm going to talk to the rescue tomorrow and see what they think's best. I'm still saving up for the run, so hopefully they'll only be without a run for a couple of weeks.

The run we have is a bit too small, so I'm planning to exercise them indoors for a couple of hours each day in an unheated room or they might be living in an old playhouse that I have in the garden which is really big, I'm going to talk to the rescue tomorrow and see what they think's best. I'm still saving up for the run, so hopefully they'll only be without a run for a couple of weeks.

I wonder if as a temporary thing you could fit your existing run to the hutch? At least then could stretch their legs a little when they're not in the house :wave: Sounds like they're going to have a lovely home with you :D

Thank you I'm so excited :lol: I will try and do that, because even a smaller run is better than no run at all. It's 6ft long but it's not quite high enough, though my Dad has said he'd see if we could nail some wood or something to it to make it a bit higher temporarily until I could get a better run.

Thank you I'm so excited :lol: I will try and do that, because even a smaller run is better than no run at all. It's 6ft long but it's not quite high enough, though my Dad has said he'd see if we could nail some wood or something to it to make it a bit higher temporarily until I could get a better run.

That sounds like a great plan :wave:

Back