• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HARD, SWOLLEN STOMACH - please someone help...getting v worried! :(

IloveToffee

Warren Scout
Over the past day or so I've noticed my 3.5 yr old male mini lop has quite a swollen hard stomach. When he's lying on his side it's really protruding, and he looks like he's a bit uncomfortable when finding a position to sit in.

He's had GI Stasis in the past, which I'm pretty sure this isn't as he is passing faeces and eating as usual, plus moving around, grooming etc.

He also has an egg sized lump under his skin which has been checked many times by a variety of vets, yet it has never got bigger so it has been diagnosed as basically a ball of fat. (Not too worried about this as it's checked every time he goes to the vets and it doesn't seem to bother him at all - just mentioning it in case there is any relevance).

I think he may be a little bit stressed out as he's had dermatitis on his ear and around his eye, which he went to the vets yesterday for, where he got a bit upset at having to be mauled and have his nails cut. He also had his myxo which could have upset him.

I also think my dad may have been slightly over feeding him recently on carrots, parsley and kale (not massively so but more than i would give him).

If anybody could give me some advice I'd really appreciate it - I'm getting quite worried as he nearly died at 6months due to stasis and I can't stand to see him ill again!

I have infacol at home if it could help to give him some.

xxx

Last edited:
I would take him to the vets for a check that he doesnt have any underlying problems. Hope it goes ok

Hi, I agree with Kath. I would take him to a bunny savvy vet to get him checked over asap, maybe an x-ray of his tummy (they can normally do this conscious). I hope he is feeling better soon.

I'll have a see how he is tomorrow - it's just he's happy in himself so I'm just confused as to why he isn't acting in pain or miserable. Probably will take him to the vets though.

I'm a bit annoyed that he was there on Weds and the vet hasn't picked up on it...

I didn't see this yesterday- a hard, swollen stomach indicates bloat- this is very, very serious and requires immediate veterinary attention- it can be fatal within a few hours in left untreated- a heat pad covered with towels will help prevent hypothermia developing whilst you wait to see the vet.

How is your bunny now? :(

i'm really confused. he seems very happy and has been running around, eating out of my hands and cuddling.

i don't know if i'm just being paranoid about his belly feeling hard/swollen :S
think he may be simply feeling 'rounder' as though there's been some weight gain?

Normal weight gain will not account for his tummy feeling hard. I would advise you take him to the vet as one of your previous posts said he was uncomfortable and miserable. It may be worth an xray to check what's going on

If his tummy is hard and swollen then it could potentially be bloat which is an emergency. None of us on here can tell you what it is or isnt, he would have to be examined by a vet.

Do you know your out of hours vet number?

he seems really upbeat since i initially posted this, i've just had him in the house and he's been running about and showing off etc.

doesn't seem to be any discomfort now.

if he's been like this for 2/3 days and it was bloat then wouldn't he be very ill by now?

and yes i know the out of hours number.

any other explanations for a firmer stomach?

when he's been unwell in the past, he's had the kind of 'i'll just sit quietly and die' mentality, that's why i'm not really inclined to think he's dead ill or anything :S

wish they could speak and let you know if anything is up!

Back