• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

metacam doses

beccimarie

Mama Doe
just went to give him is metacam and the vet told me to feel around the abcess to make sure it isnt causing discomfort, everytime iv done it so far he has been fine but just dont he moved away and dug up my leg he is on 0.65 ml metacam. It says i can give o.65 ml per kg, he is 1.55 kg my maths is rubbish but im guessing he is aloud approx max of 0.9 ml so i may add 0.05 making it 0.7 mls and see how we go, do you think 0.05 mls will make a difference thou? .. as you can see im panicing now, although casper is happy in himself and eating lots

Im **** with maths Our vet tells us and we up/down it from there I know winston is 3kgsish so he gets between 0.5-1ml depending on how bad his feet are. He can have a maximum of 1ml for few days 4-5 days then lower but if they are really bad we can double up morn and night 1ml for 3 days only!
Angel when she gets metacam gets the syrup also for her stomach lining but she only gets 1ml at most she weighs slightly less than winston although she is bigger than him

i'm also allowed to adjust the dose slightly depending on how they're doing. at the minute it's 0.6ml for bisc and 0.7ml for matt, that's twice a day, but i adjust it between 0.5ml and 0.8ml. they used to be on 0.8ml. apparantly these are low doses... they weigh around 2.4-2.5kg.

i would think it's fine to up the dose slightly if you think he needs it. if i increase i always go up 0.1ml.

even if you just increased if for a few days and see how he gets on?

do you give 0.65ml twice a day now? :)

i would think it depends on the type and suspension i know that my bunnies get a lower dosage if its dog metacam rather than cat metacam i imagine its a different suspension? x

i would think it depends on the type and suspension i know that my bunnies get a lower dosage if its dog metacam rather than cat metacam i imagine its a different suspension? x

good point. mine are on the dog metacam by the way. :wave:

o yes sorry its dog metacam :) yes bnm hes on 0.65 twice a day :) i uped it to 0.7 last night and it seems to have worked, its when i felt round the tooth bless him. But this morning he didnt flinch, hoping it was just a blip and he is pain free again now :) gave him 0.7 this morning too. xx

o yes sorry its dog metacam :) yes bnm hes on 0.65 twice a day :) i uped it to 0.7 last night and it seems to have worked, its when i felt round the tooth bless him. But this morning he didnt flinch, hoping it was just a blip and he is pain free again now :) gave him 0.7 this morning too. xx

glad he seems ok now x

Back