• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild? bun on the loose - caught him now what?

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
I saw on my local forum there was a rabbit loose 2 streets from me - I pass that way on way to and from work - looked for him but didn't see him - coming home tonight I saw him. I approached him and he ran under the parked cars - apparently he has been seen for at least a week doing this but this was in sright sunlight and within a whisker of children, cats and cars... I was concerned he'd get killed etc. So went back armed with a pat carrier and managed to catch him with hte help of some bystanders. He looks well fed, he is very timid and looks like a wildie but with shorted ears - more like a netherland's. Could he be an escaped pet? Have brought him home and put him in a spare hutch stuffed with hay in the shed with food and water and will let him settle overnight. I have rung the vets and police - no reports.

Am taking him to vets tomorrow in case he is chipped - but unlikely. IF he female and has been "done" I can keep her and intro to Smudge who is male and done. BUT if not a friend who loves animals and has heaps will look after him/her.

Have printed loads of leaflets giving my number and will post in the area I rescued her from tomorrow. Anything else to be aware of? Does this sound O.k to you guys?

I am hoping it's not a wildie.:lol: But don't think a) they'd be out in the sun at 3:00 around all that traffic or b) be as tame. What do you think?

Its unlikely to be a wildie - Im sure he/she would have been much harder to catch and very unaccepting of it all.

I wouldnt give out his/her description just say rabbit found that way if someone is missing their pet they can describe him/her and he/she wont just end up with someone who wants a free bun

Good on you for catching him. Be careful not to put him anywhere near yours until you know he is not carrying any nasties. :)

Well done for catching him! I agree, doesn't sound like a wildie if he let you pick him up, unless he's really ill. I hope you can either reunite him with caring owners or keep him yourself. :)

If you caught him and he's not obviously sick then he's a domestic. You'd never catch a healthy wildie.

I agree, keep him separate and disinfect your carrier, just in case he's carrying anything.

Thanks - will take precautions re Smudge.

He/she is sooo cute - will take pics if poss tomorrow. I'm not disturbing hinm again tonight - don't want it to die of shock.

I didn't pick him up - herded him into a pat carrier so haven't really touched him other than to shove his back end into the carrier once he'd poked his nose in for the rabbit pellets, and shut the door! :lol: He seemed friendly enough when I put food and water in and I got a quick stroke in then. Someone has said on the forum her friend lost a rabbit 2 weeks ago and desribed him as netherland dwarf but the man who told us about him had posted pics on the forum so she could have got it from there....

Have asked if it is male or female - (Will check it out at the vets tomorrow) and they'd have a 50/50 chance of being wrong I guess....

Here is the pic the guy who posted about him being lost put up on the forum:

Bunny2.jpg

Awwww! Not often you see bunnies sitting on/near a kerb! Bless his little furry feet. So glad you managed to catch him :D

Off to the vets with him/her in half an hour.

Next Question - IF the vet says it is healthy AND has been "done" (Think it was once a pet) - two things that need to be in place first - can I begin to introduce it to Smudge or do I need to begin jabs first? Smudge is up to date with his...

Looks and sounds domestic to me. I doubt anyone would catch a healthy wildie.

Well done for catching him though - any scared bun is a challenge!!

Personally I'd keep him separate for a few weeks to make sure he/she is fit and healthy before you do any introductions.

Hope it all goes well at the vet!

He's an entire male and therefore I can't keep him - as Smudge is also male. He is well fed and healthy.... Will try to find owner this week but if not a friend will take him for me. I want him - he's sooo gorgeous. I love rabbits even more now. :love: :lol:

Had teh newbie in his run and Smudge was free-ranging as usual - Smudge charged at him and nipped him through the mesh. I pushed him away and got bit. Ouch! Now everytime Smudge is out he goes for him. Have to keep Smudge in teh aviary for a bit.... Foundling goes on Thurs/Fri.

I followed that thread last night Cornishlass :wave:

Was going to go out looking then realised you had him :oops:

Well done :)

Is Smudge neutered? You could have him done then try them together. It's not the easiest bond to make but it might work. :roll: so glad you managed to get hold of him, he could so easily have been flattened by passing cars.

Back