• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Poor Shaved Cat

Janey

Warren Veteran
Cobweb my cat had to be shaved yesterday. She is 3 yers old but has a paralysed tobgue so can't wash herself (well, half of it is paralysed, she eats and drinks but it takes her a long time).

As she is long haired she gets completely matted. We do try and brush her, however, this really really stresses her out so she always eventually gets matted. We were gradually getting the matts out with clippers day by day but she was getting so stressed we thought it best for her to be sedated at the vets.

Poor Cobby isn't best pleased with her new look but she must be sooooo much more comfortable. We are determined to try and brush her everyday from now on just to try and get her used to it so this doesn't happen again-she just hates it so much :(

008.jpg

013.jpg

019.jpg

Awww!! :lol:

Maybe try brushing her with a soft brush while she hasnt got much fur? and then when the fur grows use a proper brush :)

The soft brush should make it feel like you are stroking her :)

She is gorgeous, even without her fur ;) :love::love:

Awww!! :lol:

Maybe try brushing her with a soft brush while she hasnt got much fur? and then when the fur grows use a proper brush :)

The soft brush should make it feel like you are stroking her :)

She is gorgeous, even without her fur ;) :love::love:

Yes, I thought using a soft brush may be a good idea-just need to stick with it and hope she doesn't mind.

Thank you everyone, she has a lovely temprament-such a shame for her bless her!! They do look like leg warmers-or uggs :lol:

poor kitty! my cat was a rescue cat, she's long haired too. she had matts shaved out of her when we picked her up from the RSPCA, I think her memory of being matted and then shaved was enough to get her to the point that she BEGS to be brushed! you're not even allowed to sit down when you first enter the house, she must be brushed by everyone who comes in the front door, and ideally every 10-20 minutes post that until she decides it's nap time. She's 11 now, and that said she won't let anyone near her belly, I have to hold her front legs up so she's standing on her back legs to do her belly, otherwise she attaches herself to your arm with teeth and claws.

Hopefully this shock of being nekkid all of a sudden may make your kitty realise brushing really isn't all that bad!

I agree that starting with a soft gentle brush and treats may begin to win her round.

Ahh, your poor cat.

Yes, I am hoping this experience will make her realise brushingbis a good thing, however, she's not the most intelligent cat in the world!!

I can't believe how different she looks, when our v. Young cat first saw her he didn't recognise her, he crept away slowly like he was in danger-it was hilarious :lol:

I have a toughish brush and a detangler for my long haired bun.Sadly, cats arent always into being groomed, are they?? All teefs and claws......
Tilly cat went 2 weeks ago.She got a shaved paw and neck for her dental.:roll:
Just growing back now.

:love::love: I can imagine she must look quite a bit smaller too - Skye is quite fluffy and people always assume she's fat until they have a feel and realise it's all fur. :lol:

Skye doesn't mind being brushed but I wouldn't envy the task of trying to brush a cat that doesn't like it. :shock:

:love::love: I can imagine she must look quite a bit smaller too - Skye is quite fluffy and people always assume she's fat until they have a feel and realise it's all fur. :lol:

Skye doesn't mind being brushed but I wouldn't envy the task of trying to brush a cat that doesn't like it. :shock:

Yes, this is definately true. I thought she was a bit chunky, I couldn't believe how tiny she looked when I first saw her. She still feels really solid though so it's strange.

She's really been milking the situation-I don't think she's stayed off someone's knee for 5 mins since she got back from the vets :lol:

Poor kitty! She looks very unimpressed, bless her!!

She's still beautiful though. :love: xx

My sister's cat is part-persian and she *hates* being brushed!! My sister has the scars to prove it........

Back