• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to give pineapple juice??

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
Ive heard pineapple juice is good for moulting buns?

When Win had her bout of stasis, I noticed there was a lot more fur than usual in her poops (yes - I look :roll:).

So I have some pineapple juice, how should I give it? Put a bit in their normal water? Or dilute some and offer it in a different bowl so they have a choice?

Hmm, I'd personally dilute it with a bit of water in a bowl and see what happens but I have never tried it.

A few years ago a bunny that I knew was rather sluggish in passing poos.

Adele (Guardian Angels), recommended pineapple juice, 10mls x 3 times daily.

This was given orally, and straight out of the carton.....that is not diluted. and syringe fed.

This did do the trick and bunny is still going strong years later.

Maybe this is of some help...........

Personally I think the sugars in Pineapple Juice are more likely to CAUSE problems including cecal dysbiosis and enteritis.

If you are going to give Pineapple Juice it must be 100% FRESH. The enzyme that allegedly helps with furballs (Bromelain) is destroyed during any sort of processing.

IMO preventing ingestion of lots of fur by regular grooming, ensuring a good fluid and fibre intake and lots of exercise would be a much better way to minimise the risk of GI tract hypomotility. Furballs dont CAUSE GI stasis, they are a result of it xx

When Milo got a blockage from his fur we were advised against pinapple juice for the reasons Jacks-Jane states.

We brush both buns every day and 'touch wood' have not had another problem with fur blockage.

Our rabbit vet advises to give as much pineapple as they can drink during bloat to help reduce swelling of stomach and it is also good for breaking down fur we give ours pineapple regular undiluted straight from carton. We get the little cartons what you would put in lunch box and give each buna about 1/4 each so halfish between winnie and angel they love it and we have had no problems during the 4 years we have used it.
Winston when he had bloat had about 3/4 cartons in 3 days and our vet advised this!
Obv as its new to yours and depending on size just start with a little. Ours gets pineapple about once a week depending on how furry they are.

I was advised to try a small drop of pineapple juice but I didnt bother I did a bit of research & I agree with Jane - I absolutely wouldn't syringe it & I'd stick to lots of brushing, soaking wet veg & loads of fibre, actually when mine are moulting I give them their daily veg wet in smaller portions through the day to ensure fluids.

I only give it during a moult. I get a FRESH pineapple,cut a slice off and squeez it into a glass. I then draw it into a syring and believe me I don't have a problem getting them to take it.

You also have to be very careful how much you give as it could cause diabetes due to the sugar levels.

During a moult I give 5mls a couple of times a week.

I give it to Pie every now and again (as well as brushing/grooming her every day) I take a cap full and put it in her bowl of water, she loves it eventhough there is a small amount.

Back