• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you like this hutch design?

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I'm designing a new hutch and could do with some opinions. :wave:

Hutchdesign.jpg

Thanks. :)

Yes I think it should go

Mesh door - Mesh Panel - Solid wood door

The sizes look good :)

Are you planning a run too?

That has to be the funniest thing i've ever watched in my life :lol::lol:

Grim :love:

So is the hutch going in width wise, eg, where you were standing to video it, or length wise?

Yes I think it should go

Mesh door - Mesh Panel - Solid wood door

The sizes look good :)

Are you planning a run too?

They'll have run of the garden. It's very secure and I'm lucky I can do this. There is my house on two sides, next door's house on another side and a very high wall at the bottom. I also have full view of the garden from my window so I feel that this is safe. I know others would disagree though.

That has to be the funniest thing i've ever watched in my life :lol::lol:

Grim :love:

So is the hutch going in width wise, eg, where you were standing to video it, or length wise?

My hutch now is where I was standing(ish) with it's back against the wall on the right, length ways along the garden. As the new one will be three foot deep (my one now is two foot deep) I might have to move it down the yard into the corner at the bottom. Otherwise I think getting out of the back door might be an issue. I want the back against the wall on the right again. My garden is only about 4-5 ft wide. I wish I had more space to play with.

And thanks. It's my favourite video of Grim. :)

They'll have run of the garden. It's very secure and I'm lucky I can do this. There is my house on two sides, next door's house on another side and a very high wall at the bottom. I also have full view of the garden from my window so I feel that this is safe. I know others would disagree though.

Would they ever be shut in? If they would ever be shut in I agree about the mesh panel, but if the door's always open and it's really just a base then it might be nice to have a wood panel so it's a bit darker and feels a bit more secure for them

I'd definitely put a strip of mesh in the between the mesh door and the solid door perhaps 3/4 foot wide (22.8cm) so you have good solid wood between the mesh on both sides for the bolts to be nailed to.

My hutch now is where I was standing(ish) with it's back against the wall on the right, length ways along the garden. As the new one will be three foot deep (my one now is two foot deep) I might have to move it down the yard into the corner at the bottom. Otherwise I think getting out of the back door might be an issue. I want the back against the wall on the right again. My garden is only about 4-5 ft wide. I wish I had more space to play with.

And thanks. It's my favourite video of Grim. :)

Not sleeping is not helping my brain :oops:

I think placing it at the far end of that yard, where the wall slopes would work, if thats what you mean? That'd still leave you 1-2ft (maybe a little more) to get past it to whatever is on the left, past the wall. It'll be tight, but it'd work i think.

I do agree, i'd have the mesh the length of the hutch in traditional style, as it could be quite dark in there, and it doesnt look like you get much light unfortunately in the yard, as each 'side' looks well over 10ft tall? Apart from the wall at the end with the slope i doubt you get much light?

They will be shut in at night and if no one's home which is why I wanted a bigger hutch. They used to be in my room but due to Grim's health it is better for him to be outside. They get a minimum of 5 hours out on Monday night but every other day they are out between 8 - 16 hours. When I say out, I mean that the hutch door is open, but after about an hour of playing they do spend most of their time snuggled up in the sleeping area. Again why I want a bigger hutch.

So this is it with the mesh panel. And thanks so much for all your advice. :)

Hutchdesign2.jpg

As your space is limited, this next comment is going to sound really odd....

How about asking, as its being custom made, for it to be perhaps an extra foot long or so? eg, 7 or 8ft x 3ft? It would obviously eat into the length of your yard a bit more, but if they had to be locked in, or are in there, it might be better?

Also, ensure the felt roof isn't flat, and is sloped, backwards, and ensure there is an overhang, so water can run off the top and off the back, without dripping down the back of the hutch, causing water damage :wave:

Not sleeping is not helping my brain :oops:

I think placing it at the far end of that yard, where the wall slopes would work, if thats what you mean? That'd still leave you 1-2ft (maybe a little more) to get past it to whatever is on the left, past the wall. It'll be tight, but it'd work i think.

I do agree, i'd have the mesh the length of the hutch in traditional style, as it could be quite dark in there, and it doesnt look like you get much light unfortunately in the yard, as each 'side' looks well over 10ft tall? Apart from the wall at the end with the slope i doubt you get much light?

Yep that's the plan. The sloping wall I think is just sunlight and shadow. ;)
We only get sunlight in that bit on the left you can't see. The bunnies sunbathe down there and that's where their digging pot/pot of grass is. I'm not bothered about squeezing past as that's the bunnies' bit of the garden. There is a gate out into a sort of shared back area where we keep our bins but I rarely go out there as it stinks and is full of cat poo. I moved our bins to the front of the house so I'm not bothered if it's blocked as long as I can squeeze past if I need to.

As your space is limited, this next comment is going to sound really odd....

How about asking, as its being custom made, for it to be perhaps an extra foot long or so? eg, 7 or 8ft x 3ft? It would obviously eat into the length of your yard a bit more, but if they had to be locked in, or are in there, it might be better?

Also, ensure the felt roof isn't flat, and is sloped, backwards, and ensure there is an overhang, so water can run off the top and off the back, without dripping down the back of the hutch, causing water damage :wave:

Ooh, yes. I kind of assumed he would do that but I better make sure. :)

Back