• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

buying a bale of hay where do I start?FOUND SOME

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
I am spending a fortune on hay and really want to buy a bale, I have several questions firstly how do I go about finding one? Do they deliver normally? and where do I put it:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
hi :wave:
i buy mine from my local farm shop, think some will deliver depends on farm, and i keep mine in the garage in an old duvet case, defenatly more economical way of buying it. X

My pet shops sells one for £8.71, this is pretty expensive though and they ask for £1 to deliver it for you, I have it in a single duvet cover in the cupboard, where ever you store it make sure its nice and dry:wave:

local farm shop/stables/agricultural supplies..

make sure its decent stuff without tons of dust/mud in it. :?

I phoned round a few farms and if they didn't have any asked them to point me in the right direction. Maybe stables might be worth a shot as well?

I've never requested that they deliver so can't answer that. I store it in the shed in a large duvet and then decant a slice or two into another duvet and store that in a bin which is right next to the rabbits :wave:

Oh and I pay about £5/bale :)

Since French's ran out I've been getting mine from a farm shop in Somersham. I have to go and collect it but it's only £5 a bale. I can get 4 bales in my car so don't need to go too often.

Thanks everyone:wave: Rhian roughly how big a bale is it? How long does it last for? Somersham sounds ideal as it's nice and close:D

They are normal size bales, about 4ft long-ish. A bale normally lasts a good month and I have 3 underbed storage boxes and a hut that I change the hay in daily and I've had foster guinea pigs recently as well. The big bags of farm hay you can get was costing me similar money and I was getting through more than a bag a week.

Is it a farm shop Rhian? Can you give me the number or address? I am nipping out to get the kids so can't reply till I get back thanks:wave:

yes, it's a farm shop, it's general animal supplies mainly. Will ask the OH what it's called and update later.

I found somewhere just up the road from me, we are going to load up the car with as many as we can fit in:lol::lol: they are £3.50 a bale I am well chuffed:D one more question how long until they go off?

I found somewhere just up the road from me, we are going to load up the car with as many as we can fit in:lol::lol: they are £3.50 a bale I am well chuffed:D one more question how long until they go off?

Ages. Hay is only harvested once a year so it has to last. Where did you find it? Is it nice? We may have to try that place it if it is.

Ages. Hay is only harvested once a year so it has to last. Where did you find it? Is it nice? We may have to try that place it if it is.

Just up the road near Grafham Village. I am going to collect it tomorrow he said he has two types one the piggies will love and one the buns will love. I will let you know how good it is:wave:

Yeah, it was fun! Picture getting ripped to pieces by brambles and hawthorn trapsing around an ancient woodland in the dark with a radio antennae trying to track the movements of a tichy little mouse that can move in three dimensions.. :D

Yeah, it was fun! Picture getting ripped to pieces by brambles and hawthorn trapsing around an ancient woodland in the dark with a radio antennae trying to track the movements of a tichy little mouse that can move in three dimensions.. :D

Oh dear:lol::lol::lol:

Back