• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

seriously considering

unalakey

Mama Doe
Getting a housebun:?
I have four outdoor rabbits and have never fancied the idea of a housebun before but i have recently been fostering a house bunny that i totally fell in love with:cry: he went today and i cried:cry: anyway i really enjoyed him being inside and he was the perfect bun, no chewing or pooping:shock: he got on fab with my dog, whats the chances of me finding another bun like him?

i think most adapt pretty quickly. i had 3 housebuns (seperately over years) and each was quite good apart from the odd 'mishap' and every one got on great with my dogs.

i have 3 bonded now who have always been outside but were brought in recently for re bonding and all are fine with the dogs though i have one who is a bit of a beggar for chewing an escaping. :?

There are quite a few around, I know because I've been looking for one as a friend for my house bunny. You'd want two preferably, even if they are indoors.

Most rescues will only be able to tell you what the rabbit is like in its hutch though, as for obvious reasons they dont have many bunnies kept indoors. But if they dont chew a hutch, doubt they will chew much indoors.

Why dont you move one of your pairs indoors?

Awww it must be so hard being a fosterer and letting the bunnies go, I'm not sure I could do it. I got Roo from searching on here and he was being fostered, i always keep her up to date with his antics though but I did feel for her having to say goodbye to him :( I only have the two indoor buns and it so lovely having them around, I talk to them more than I do my OH! :lol: l think buns can adapt but if you find a bun that is already used to being indoors then that is a bonus. Good luck in finding your new house bun :D

There are quite a few around, I know because I've been looking for one as a friend for my house bunny. You'd want two preferably, even if they are indoors.

Most rescues will only be able to tell you what the rabbit is like in its hutch though, as for obvious reasons they dont have many bunnies kept indoors. But if they dont chew a hutch, doubt they will chew much indoors.

Why dont you move one of your pairs indoors?

I like my pairs being outdoors:D I dont have enough room inside for my two giants and my other pair love being outdoors, my Jess would not tolerate being inside and she is really skittish, she was living outside on the streets for ages before Kayj managed to catch her. im gonna seriously think about it before i jump into anything, i may get another foster in soon anyway;)

I was thinking more of a single special needs bun:?

That would be really lovely :love: a bun that needs a lot of supervision would be good as an indoor bun, although I'm not suggesting outdoor wouldn't be as it can also depend on how much time you spend with the bun and also what the special needs might be. I found out Recently that Peanut was deaf, although not an extreme case of special needs it does help if she's indoors for me personally as I'm really trying at the moment to work out any bunny sign language that I can use which I think will take up a lot of my time to train her with and I only see her in the evenings and weekends as I work during the week. It might be a futile effort but I'm going to try anyway. :D

Hi,

My Rolo is a housebun. He lived outside before he came to us and adapted really well.

Weve had to block up places he cant go: behind TV, etc. But other than that its worked really well. But, you need to be prepared for the other stuff, the trails of hay that stretch accross the carpet, bits of carrot and other veg scattered about. He has also dug out the back of the sofa and made it into burrow:roll: Eaten most of the Dining Room wallpaper about 2 inches from the skirting board and munched his way though the living room carpet!

Having said that, its no worse really than when the kids were little.

House buns are cool!:love:

Rach x

There is nothing in the world like sharing your home with housebunnies. :love: I would recommend it every time.

Back