• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why did nobody tell me i should wear gloves before i go foraging for Brambles...

...because you need to go through the initiation ceremony that involves having tiny spines stuck somewhere in your fingers without being able to find them.

Now you're a 'proper' forager - well done :D
wash carefully and keep the cuts clean, you'll be fine.
:wave: and wear gloves next time

how appreciative are the buns?

...because you need to go through the initiation ceremony that involves having tiny spines stuck somewhere in your fingers without being able to find them.

Now you're a 'proper' forager - well done :D
wash carefully and keep the cuts clean, you'll be fine.
:wave: and wear gloves next time

how appreciative are the buns?

not at all yet, im paranoid and want to check each leaf :oops:

I suspect that they might not mind the odd spike as much as you think, although having read some of your threads about their recent medical issues, i'm not surprised that you are somewhat cautious.
Or is it that you also enjoy the pain :lol:

Because no one thought you were that stupid?

:lol::lol::lol:

You are sooo brave ;):lol:

ETA: best method for bramble picking (nice & simple ;):lol:):

1. Pinch & hold end of leaf with one hand (using thumb and index finger)
2. Snip base of leaf off from spiney "trunk" with scissors with other hand.
3. Place snipped leaf into bag/box/container.

There is no need to remove the prickles from the back of the leaf - the buns will eat these too ;):p

Last edited:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Well done .....officially a forager ! Now you have to try picking Stinging nettles too!...:lol::lol::lol:

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: Sorry.
I pick them a bit like Schuette - scissors at the leaf base, let them drop into my palm & when I've a palmful I tip them into a basket.
I dethorn the leaves bare fingered too, a firm rub down the central vein. But you only have to use a thimble or wrap some lint round your finger. Thumper has thick fur & chins all his food. The thorns are barbed & get all along his jaw line.

Nettles are good bunny food. Those can be gathered bare handed too, but I prefer gloves cos I get stung getting them out of the bag. You have to grip very firmly. They only sting when they brush against you.
The only effective antidote for a nettle sting is fresh greater plantain (dock is useless) & they're not out yet!

Back