• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

trouble with my REW Loopy-Lou

Rabbitat

Young Bun
hi there

Im new to the rabbit world and I adopted a REW 2 weeks ago. I was told by the woman i got her from that she only ate pellets & hay. Ive tried to introduce some small amount of greens gradually. mostly Parsley, she had sticky bottom after the 1st time so I stopped completely then waited till her poops got back to normal before trying again and she got poopy butt again. so Ive not tried since. I only give her Timothy Hay and Pellets (Burgees excell) which is what she was on before. But shes still having bouts of sticky butt and discarded ceacotrophs. :( Shes moulting and hormonal so I was going to make a vet appt to get her spayed soon, do you think im giving her too many pellets? she gets fed them once a day and about 2 small handfulls, shes a dwarf lop but is quite big and wolfs them down! :/ pls help!

Yes, that does sound like too many pellets. The rough amount to give is an eggcup full, once a dya (or half an eggcup twice a day).

Excel is also known to cause excess cecals in some bunnies, so you may also be battling that too.

Does she eat a good amount of hay?

Yes, that does sound like too many pellets. The rough amount to give is an eggcup full, once a dya (or half an eggcup twice a day).

Excel is also known to cause excess cecals in some bunnies, so you may also be battling that too.

Does she eat a good amount of hay?

I give her Timothy hay to eat everyday about 2 big clumps then her hutch is filled with meadow hay too. I only noticed her eating LOTS when I gave her tummy a rest from pellets for a day. Maybe once I cut down her pellets I will see less and less in her bowl at night. Is it possible for a rabbit to be intolerant to fresh greens? and be healthy on pellets/hay/water alone? as I feel this problem started when I gave her greens :(

I give her Timothy hay to eat everyday about 2 big clumps then her hutch is filled with meadow hay too. I only noticed her eating LOTS when I gave her tummy a rest from pellets for a day. Maybe once I cut down her pellets I will see less and less in her bowl at night. Is it possible for a rabbit to be intolerant to fresh greens? and be healthy on pellets/hay/water alone? as I feel this problem started when I gave her greens :(

Yup.

A rabbit can actually live on hay alone.

Just cut the pellets down a little, and you'll notice her eat lots of hay :)

Some bunny tummys are very sensitive and often can't handle lots of 'human veg' :wave:

Yup :)

Mine have hay and very minimal pellets and my vet is very happy with how healthy they are :)

I would suggest providing a variety of hays, if you can, and gradually reduce the pellets down until she is on a small amount, and then see how she goes from there. :)

Another option might be a more wild based diet but my knowledge of that is limited but there are some good threads about on it.

Yup.

A rabbit can actually live on hay alone.

Just cut the pellets down a little, and you'll notice her eat lots of hay :)

Some bunny tummys are very sensitive and often can't handle lots of 'human veg' :wave:

Thank you so much for the great advice. I had no idea some had such sensetive digestion (I have a butterfly lion lop and she is very tolerant) I really panic everytome I see soft poop in her hutch!! :shock: just want them to be healthy and happy . :wave:

Back