• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I ask about moulting?

rolo

Alpha Buck
My housebun isnt moulting.

Ive seen loads of pics of buns on here with fab moult piccies, but my Rolo isnt moulting at all....is this normal???

Hes got abit of fur that comes off when I brush him, but only abit. More like a tiny bit of fluff.

The dog is moulting like mad. But bunny is hanging on to his fur.

Anyone know why?

Rach x

D&D are indoor buns and they havent started a full moult yet, there are a few tufty bits around the bums but thats about it. Dudley has reliably informed me that his tufty bits are not loose enough to try to remove yet :oops:

I guess house buns moults occur at slightly different times to outdoor buns and their winter fur isnt as thick anyway as they've been inside!

if your house is more of a constant temperature then he wont feel the need to moult, also some buns moult more than others, and remember a wild rabbit would only moult twice a year its just some domestic bunnis that do it like crazy! x

Mine tend to have smaller moults throughout the year. So not so severe but more of them.

My bun has 2 types of moulting. In spring I only know he's moulting by a gradual colour change over 2 -3 months. There's no excess fur anywhere.
In Autumn it comes out in tufts & he virtually needs plucking. :shock:

We just have to be careful that buns don't overheat in the high temps in summer whether they've moulted or not.

I have four bunnies... two are not moulting at all, one is moulting badly and one has just started moulting.....

It just depends on the bunny :)

We have two buns that live, mostly, outdoors - they come in for the winter. Niles is moulting like crazy, every day he looks like a fluffy mound! But Frasier doesn't seem to be moulting at all yet.

Like others have said, it depends on the bunny & where they live :)

Thanks for you replies:D

He lived outside at his Auntie Angies (BARC) before he came to live with us. Hes a fully fledged indoor bun.

I'll just wait and see what happens to his fur over the next few weeks. Ive noticed he looks abit sleeker, but maybe thats due to the fact Iv cut down on his pellets to make him eat more hay, I was worried he was getting abit too cuddly.

Rach x

Peanut is moulting, she's an indoor bun and she has quite dense fur, I don't see any loose fur in the cage but I'm trying to keep on top of it, I get paranoid about them ingesting too much fur. I'm brushing her every 2-3 days and most evenings I find myself following her around trying to pull the loose bits of fur out of her bum, I try and do it sneakily while I stroke her and the majority of the time I get away with it, other times not :lol: Roo has a moult line on his head where he's losing his baby fur and going a darker colour but he doesn't actually have any loose fur like Pea, so maybe it just depends on the bunny.

Back