• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I Hate Lice!

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
We can't get rid of them and its absolutely doing my head in.

:censored::evil::censored::evil::censored::evil:

/rant :thumb:

It's one of those things...the more you look, the more you see! :lol:

Lots of rabbits carry lice (in the same way that they carry mites). It's only a problem if it's a big infestation.

I would treat 2 or 3 times per year with a decent spot-on ivermectin treatment (remember you need 3 doses at roughly 7-10 day intervals) and forget about it during the in-between times unless it causes problems for the rabbits.

This is very obvious. They had three treatments, 10 days apart, and the last one was two weeks ago. Now a load more of the little ******* have hatched out again.

I'm not talking one or two and i'm not leaving my rabbits covered in lice.

This is very obvious. They had three treatments, 10 days apart, and the last one was two weeks ago. Now a load more of the little ******* have hatched out again.

I'm not talking one or two and i'm not leaving my rabbits covered in lice.

A healthy rabbit shouldn't be covered in lice. Do your rabbits have health problems? Or perhaps issues preventing them from grooming?

xenex years ago did a herbal shampoo for bunnies...my 1st housebun went into the vets as some guinea pigs came out and she let my bun sit on the same towel:censored: hence infestation with lice and mites....took months to go:(

have you tried this
https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/*+G.../Lice+%91n%92+Easy+Shampoo+%3A+200ml.482.html

heres an article
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/lice-1.htm

you could try seleamectin instead of ivermectin..it stays in the system longer. Or try advantage...its great on fleas and mites etc...but i read it kills sucking lice on dogs...;so maybe its good on lice period?

my 1st bunny had regular baths with the shampoo..then the xenex ultra came out and withing two pipettes she was clear after a few months of itchy scratchy:(

id ask your vet for some ADVANTAGE......:wave:

Back