• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Zero has a cataract

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
I used to constantly make people study Castiel's eyes in different light as I thought they were cloudy. No one else could see it and it was just the light.

So when I noticed Zero's eye was cloudy a few weeks ago I didn't mention it I thought it was just my paranoia again. I brought it up at the vet's today and he has a cataract in the bottom half of his eye :(

I feel really bad for him as he is only a young bun :( just over a year old. I know it's nothing to worry about and doesn't seem to have affected his behaviour in any way, it's just sad for him

He also has splayed feet and used to have excess caecotroph problems

He must have been terribly bred :cry:

Have all your Buns ha a 28 day course of Panacur ?

Cataracts in a very young Rabbit can be a result of lens damage caused by EC. This usually occurs in utero So personally I'd want all Buns to have a one off 28 day Panacur Course xx

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Cataract_Rabbit.html

Thank you for the advice Jane I must admit EC was the first thing that popped into my mind

My vet has a lot of experience with EC and similar problems (mainly thanks to Jen on here!) and he didn't suggest it but I'll ask him :wave:

Just been in touch with my vet and he says it is a hereditary cataract and very unlikely to be EC :wave:

As I say poor Zero is just a complete victim of bad breeding :( it's ironic that one of the reasons people give for going to a pet shop over a rescue is that they want a healthy bunny, but the 3 bunnies I have from pet shops have been the ones with the most problems

Back