• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I hate looking for hutches. UD/ Wooo! Success!

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
The market is disgusting. When searching for a 6ft hutch on eBay only brings up 13 hutches. When searching for a giant hutch brings up 5 foot hutches. Makes me sick. And the fact that it will cost me almost £300 for one in the size I want but a larger shed is half the price.

I much preferred them being inside. I could give them the space they need. But Grim is just not doing well with his eyes and it's so much better for his health to be outside. But I have a long and thin garden that's only 4 foot wide so the widest the hutch can be is 3 foot so I can still get out the back gate. I want it bigger than 6x2 because they're large bunnies and I might be getting a third. And they spend most of their time in there (voluntarily, the door is always open when I'm home). I want it all on one level for Grim so he doesn't have to climb a ramp.

I emailed a load of shed companies and they don't make rabbit hutches. It only really needs to be a small shed. I'll put the mesh in myself. Now I'm trying dog kennels...

I noticed the same thing recently, its just shocking how many rabbit hutches are classed as large :(

Hope you manage to find something for the buns.

Did you try the Happy Hutch company? They are happy to make them to your custom measurements if you wish, and they are well made - I have just had one myself..

Did you try the Happy Hutch company? They are happy to make them to your custom measurements if you wish, and they are well made - I have just had one myself..

I did. They quoted me just under £300. I'm trying to find a cheaper option first. I wouldn't mind paying it if I had the money but it's an extra £100 for an extra foot. :?

someone on here converted a bike shed into a large double hutch and it looked great. How are your DIY skills?

I know you said you only wanted a single level so you could either not put a second shelf in or put one in and use it for storage which might be quite useful.

It must be hard to think about putting the buns outside when you want them in but it's great you're putting grim's needs first (as always!) and I'm sure it will get easier when you see him looking a bit better.

ETA: you could also consider buying two smaller hutches, taking one end off each and connecting them in to one larger hutch.

I did. They quoted me just under £300. I'm trying to find a cheaper option first. I wouldn't mind paying it if I had the money but it's an extra £100 for an extra foot. :?

Ah ok, yes they werent cheap, but I had the same problem as you, limited space and no room for an additional shed. This was the best option I could find. They certainly are worth the money. Plus I know a guy who can make custom covers to fit as well if you are interested!

someone on here converted a bike shed into a large double hutch and it looked great. How are your DIY skills?

I know you said you only wanted a single level so you could either not put a second shelf in or put one in and use it for storage which might be quite useful.

It must be hard to think about putting the buns outside when you want them in but it's great you're putting grim's needs first (as always!) and I'm sure it will get easier when you see him looking a bit better.

ETA: you could also consider buying two smaller hutches, taking one end off each and connecting them in to one larger hutch.

Oooh, good idea. *goes to look*

I think there must be another too, unless I saw it somewhere else. The one I saw they had taken off the front doors and made them in to traditional meshed doors.:)

Back