• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites/lice - vet or home treat U/D post 10 need advice

molly35

Mama Doe
If you found your rabbit had lice/mites would you automatically take it to the vet for the injection (sorry no idea what its called) or do you just home treat with the sprays that are available?

Last edited:
When my guinea pigs had them I just got a shampoo and it did the job, but then again you try convincing my parents that a rabbit needs to go to the vet :roll:

Vet!!

Ive been reading loads about mites as I have the same prob! George reactived to spot on treatment Xeno so my vet is trying injections of IVOMEC. He's not reacted to it like the spot on's but im still trying to get ride of them completely. Do you know how they get them?? As George is a house rabbit!!

i think for furry animals you'd need to see a vet. I've heard of using veggie oil for mice and I heard it will also work for ear mites in larger animals (like dogs) but I think it's best to see the vet. I'm not sure those treatments truly work.

However, for birds with scaly mites in their face you can use Vaseline. Lots of bird owners do this and it works (for birds that is)

Vet!!

Ive been reading loads about mites as I have the same prob! George reactived to spot on treatment Xeno so my vet is trying injections of IVOMEC. He's not reacted to it like the spot on's but im still trying to get ride of them completely. Do you know how they get them?? As George is a house rabbit!!

They get mites from the hay.

they always have the mites that cause the flakey skin we see but usually they flare up when there immune system is low it can be a sign of another illness, of course they can also get it when there is nothing else wrong and can pick it up from hay or other bedding or from animals coming in through house and garden, you can use a spot on but be sure it isa rabbit one iv always found its better to go to the vets and get an injection of ivermetican(sp?) which seems to cure it up quickly and without to much stress the other benifit is you can get your bunny looked over to make sure its not a symptom of anything else! x

Thank you all that is exactly what I would do. So now I have an issue - the rescue won't pay for vet treatment which I think was around £8 at my vet which I cant use because they wont let me and just wanted to bring some treatment for me (I've already sprayed him with some stuff I have). How do I broach this with the rescue? What if it doesn't clear up after 2 treatments. And though he is separate I have 4 other buns to consider

Any suggestions

ask the rescue why they are denying vetinary treatment to a rabbit within their care (is it a foster bunny?) and explain why you feel he needs a vet and what your concerns are. x

ask the rescue why they are denying vetinary treatment to a rabbit within their care (is it a foster bunny?) and explain why you feel he needs a vet and what your concerns are. x

Yes foster bun, if he was mine he would have been straight to vet

PMed you :wave:

ETA: Have you seen anything in his fur? You can't actually see mites so if you can something it isn't mites

Unfortunately the injected ivermectin doesn't seem to kill lice properly...spot-on is much better for this problem :wave:

I agree :wave: but I would still definitely go to the vets to confirm that is what it is if you can convince them to let you x

Back