• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Viola Rose still with us!!!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
We were almost ready to say goodbye t Viola Rose over the weekend - her kidneys had got to the stage of causing anaemia and heart murmur etc and she was horribly wobbly and had acid tummy problems.

But on Sunday afternoon she staged one of those amazing 'Im not ready to go yet' recoveries that buns with terminal chronic illnesses so often do (and yet still constantly surprise us!!).

Now she can walk in a straight line, does not wobble her head (unless she tries to look straight up at you), and is nomming frantically at all her greens etc. She even runs over to you when you come in the room with food!

On Monday the vet had suggested that this week would be the last and that to try anything beyond supportive care (fluids and tagamet for the acid) was unfair as she was so wobbly etc.

However tomorrow I am going to go and ask about steroids and fortekor as although she may not have that long with us , she is obviously not ready to go yet!

I am a bit stuck for anything to help her regain some weight though as she is not suppossed to have anything with protein and did not seen keen on soaked oats. Anyone any ideas?

Baby food she loves but it tends to have the same level of proteins as Science Selective.

What wonderful news :)
Ellas kitchen baby food is just pureed fruit/veg and root veg are always good for weight gain.

Thank you - where do you get it from? I have only ever seen Hippo and (can't remember name of other but it is in all supermarkets). Is Ellas one thats ready to use in a glass jar or a mix?

Also (sorry) is it ok to use one if it contains rice?

It is a pouch, I buy mine from Morrisons. I have loads here with only a month or so's date left on it but I doubt i could get them posted out to you on time :?

Found this piccy of Eddie enjoying a pouch, no syringe needed for him!

HPIM2427.jpg

It is a pouch, I buy mine from Morrisons. I have loads here with only a month or so's date left on it but I doubt i could get them posted out to you on time :?

Just checked on the internet and there is a Morrisons at Cambourne about 10 miles away - I shall go there tomorrow!! Thanks!

You should keep yours in case you ned them!

Great picture of Eddie - Parsley sucks at anything in a syringe as well - Parsley LOVES his new medicines - zithromaz and Rifampicin and gobbles at the syringe!

twigs

I'm really pleased that Viola Rose has rallied:) Sometimes buns just let us know that they aren't ready for the Bridge just yet - there is still too much fun to be had here!

The baby food recommended - is it high in calcium or would it be good for Sue? I am going to Morrisons tomorrow and am always on the look out for noms to give her to keep her from losing weight. She seems to have gone off pellets now:(

(Sorry parsnipbun for gatecrashing your thread:oops:)

I'm really pleased that Viola Rose has rallied:) Sometimes buns just let us know that they aren't ready for the Bridge just yet - there is still too much fun to be had here!

The baby food recommended - is it high in calcium or would it be good for Sue? I am going to Morrisons tomorrow and am always on the look out for noms to give her to keep her from losing weight. She seems to have gone off pellets now:(

(Sorry parsnipbun for gatecrashing your thread:oops:)

I shall look when I have bought some!

What is wrong with Sue?

Wow!! Well done Viola Rose. She's a little fighter!

Plum baby foods are very similar to Ella's kitchen ones. (although I've only ever used both with a baby. ...no buns.)

Sue only has half a kidney working parsnipbun. You PM'd me to ask how I was managing her illness:) At the moment solely by diet but I will be reviewing that with the vet.

I am going to Morrisons later today so will make sure I have my reading glasses with me to investigate the labels of baby food:) I spent ages at the pet shop with all the bags of pellets in a row, checking the calcium content. I got some very strange looks:)

I hope Viola Rose enjoys the baby food:)

Back