• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another poorly rabbit, really worried/ Goodnight Toby

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Having just lost two bunnies in a week I have the sinking feeling that it might now become 3 in 10 days :cry:

I have just discovered an abscess on Tobys jaw :( He has so much wrong with him, I am not at all optimistic.

He has severe dental disease, a URTI caused by his roots that hasn't responded to any anitbiotics, He has a wart like growth on his side and I can feel more developing, he wees for England and has recently started to show symptoms of liver problems and the last few days he has become very confused and forgotten what he is doing :?

He sleeps 98% of the day but is still managing to eat :)

he nearly died under GA for his last dental and we haven;t be able to get him well enough for castration so the chances of him surviving a big op to remove an abscess from his jaw is :cry::cry:

he is booked it to the hospital Saturday morning so that I get the chance to at least spend one more day with him. He is such a wonderful bunny, he never fails to make me laugh every day:love:

Last edited:
Oh Liz, I'm sorry you are having this run of heartache with poorly buns. :( Sending gentle noserubs for Toby, and will be thinking of him specially on Saturday. Does the abbreviation stand for upper respiritory tract infection?

Sending lots of healing vibes xxxx

(((hugs)))) to you. Sorry you're going through so much with poorly bunnies. You are doing such a wondeful job of looking after them xx

So sorry to hear this about Toby Liz. He's in such safe hands with you so enjoy whatever time you have left with him. Thinking of you.

Thank you for everything you have done for him so far Liz

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Vibes and hugs for the wee man. I will always remember him honking and dancing around in his hutch for attention :love: life dealt him a cruel hand :(

IMG_4570.jpg

Poor Toby-oby-wan

If the abscess isn't going into the bone it can be safely treated without an op..so keep your hopes up he can be treated and there will be no need to put him to sleep ..will keep my fingers crossed for him
Has he been panacured as some of his symptoms sound like EC:?

Thank you for everything you have done for him so far Liz

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Vibes and hugs for the wee man. I will always remember him honking and dancing around in his hutch for attention :love: life dealt him a cruel hand :(

He cracks me up at meal times he does these circular honking binkies with excitement for about 5 minutes before letting me pick him up :lol: Except the last 3 days he has stopped in the middle of them clearly confused and forgotten to come over to me for his food :(

I cannot see him surviving surgery and antibiotics don;t seem to touch any infection he has, it had been left without treatment for far to long :( I know the hospital will give him the best chance, if he has one :)

And yes it's an upper respiratory tract infection Susan :wave: He is constantly sneezing out lumps of pus and nothing we have tried has helped him.

Fprgot to add that he also has arthritis which he is on metacam long term for!

If the abscess isn't going into the bone it can be safely treated without an op..so keep your hopes up he can be treated and there will be no need to put him to sleep ..will keep my fingers crossed for him
Has he been panacured as some of his symptoms sound like EC:?

Yes he was panacured when he arrived in November. TBH I think he is in liver failure which was my main concern up until this afternoon.

I really don;t want to loose him, he is a very special boy. And the hospital always try really hard to treat buns. I have never known them to suggest pts yet, but after the week we have had its had to stay positive :?

Oh Liz not another :( Big hugs to you and Steve, and gentle strokes for the lovely Toby xxx

which anti b's has he had..as someone may be able to suggest other treatments..he is such a cutie:love:

the vet is very methodical and started with really high doses of Baytril, then septrin, then we went to engymycine injections for 6 weeks. Nothing made a different so she said to try stopping them to see how he got on as the injections were affecting his appetite and he got no worse so we left him off meds for it. So yes I am hoping they will want to prescribe more antibotics now the abscess has appeared.

I will also ask for bloods to see what is happening with his liver/kidney function. And we can get the nasty black growth on his side looked at too.

Just given him another cuddle and feel and there are two large abscesses, not one big one :(

really sorry to hear this - we have been so lucky in the past in avoiding abscesses (Only Thistle had jaw abscesses) but now Parsley's is proving a real struggle so I can really empathise with how it feels to find one appearing.

Back