• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about Harvey - been to vets all is well again

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
I just went downstairs to check on the bunkids and Harvey was sat hunched up. He normally sits in a 'bunny slipper' at this time of afternoon to have a snooze and he was sat like that as normal, but a bit more hunched than normal, his haunches were raised

I took him in the other room and gave him some plantain and a fenugreek crunchie, he gobbled them down and hopped around quite happily. He wasn't licking me when I was cuddling him though and he normally does. Last time he had gas/ileus he wouldn't eat at all and he was very restless.

His tummy feels very solid and full and he has that 'chunky' look about him that he got when he had post-bread-eating gas. It's hard to tell if he is pooing as the other 4 are in there with him, but I think he is.

I've given him a tummy rub and popped him back with the others, I have metaclop, metacam and fibreplex - is it worth giving him anything or am I just worrying about nothing?

I would not give Metoclopromide until you know what you are treating. Given in the wrong circumstances Metoclop' can cause serious problems.

Personally I would want to be certain that he is pooing. Pooing stops/slows down BEFORE Bun stops eating in most cases of ileus.

I would not give Metoclopromide until you know what you are treating. Given in the wrong circumstances Metoclop' can cause serious problems.

Personally I would want to be certain that he is pooing. Pooing stops/slows down BEFORE Bun stops eating in most cases of ileus.

So glad you posted Jane was hoping you would! :wave: Yes I thought it was probably a bad idea to just randomly medicate. I will separate him from the others for a while and see if we get some pooping

hes in here with me now nomming pellets. He feels very heavy

:cry: I don't what has happened to my boy he used to have a stomach of steel now he seems very sensitive all of a sudden, he hasn't had access to anything unusual to have caused it

he's just done a lovely bright yellow wee on my duvet :? but still no poops

As his wee is so yellow could he be dehydrated?

I'm not sure but my rabbit died of bloat and she was weeing but not pooing. Ask someone more experienced please.

Having a bunny in the vets at the moment recovering from serious bloat I would suggest if you are worried at all to get down the vets before they close and get him checked out to be sure. At least if he is heading that way they can start medication before things get too bad, and it will save some costly out of hours treatment maybe later.

Having a bunny in the vets at the moment recovering from serious bloat I would suggest if you are worried at all to get down the vets before they close and get him checked out to be sure. At least if he is heading that way they can start medication before things get too bad, and it will save some costly out of hours treatment maybe later.

After last nights incident Nicola (which you know about) - if you are at all worried, please call the vets and take him in.

After last nights incident Nicola (which you know about) - if you are at all worried, please call the vets and take him in.

Thank you, dont worry as soon as I realised he wasn't pooing I rang the vets. He says to give him metacam and metaclopramide and bring him in tomorrow if I'm still worried

If he stops eating or gets any worse I'll take him in tonight

please send him some vibes

ETA just read some of your posts. Vets said I would be ok medicating him myself but do you think I should bring him in?

Thank you, dont worry as soon as I realised he wasn't pooing I rang the vets. He says to give him metacam and metaclopramide and bring him in tomorrow if I'm still worried

If he stops eating or gets any worse I'll take him in tonight

please send him some vibes

ETA just read some of your posts. Vets said I would be ok medicating him myself but do you think I should bring him in?

:?

But surely metaclop shouldnt be used if obstructions havent been ruled out? A vet can't tell that over the phone :?

That's what I was thinking Graham! :shock: Nicola is your vet bunny savvy?

Yes he is :wave: this has happened to Harvey before so that's probably why he said it and I think sometimes he credits me with more bunny knowledge than I actually have

I'm waiting for the vet to ring me back going to take all 5 down as they all feel a bit firm-tummied

Yes he is :wave: this has happened to Harvey before so that's probably why he said it and I think sometimes he credits me with more bunny knowledge than I actually have

I'm waiting for the vet to ring me back going to take all 5 down as they all feel a bit firm-tummied

Goodness you would be very unlucky if they all were going into Stasis at the same time! :shock: But I think you are doing the right things taking Harvey down.

Back