• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly Guard

Rubyroo

New Kit
Hello I've just joined and was wondering if anyone can help?
I have a lovely rescue bunny,Ruby, who's now nearly 9yrs old just lately she's not managing to clean herself brilliantly so I am helping her with this on a daily basis.
I have bought some Fly Guard as an extra precaution as Ruby's beginning to pee downstairs in her hutch near the doorway and I know this will attract the flies if I haven't managed to clean it quickly. I clean her twice daily throughout the summer months but am still concerned about the flies....
With Fly Guard it says to apply 'from the middle of the back to the tip of the tail paying attention to the area under the tail and between the back legs'
Now does this mean to spray it on the bunny's actual back then move down to under the tail area? So sort of sweep from the back right down to under tail and between legs?
Not sure when to start either as I did notice a fly just down in the garden so I guess perhaps begin today,as an applictaion lasts for 3 months...
Many,many thanks Marie and Ruby

hi:wave: i had the same problem with my bun when she got older. nightmare! lol sadly i had a bad vet and they werent good at advising on what to use so i was only cleaning and checking her in the end. i hate flies though!:evil: just had to say lol

is it rear gaurd you are using (the prescribed one?) or justa fly gaurd form the shops? if its a shop bought one you may want a rethink as this will deter flys but wont stop them the rear gaurd availbale from vets will stop any eggs hatching and thus preventing fly strike xxx

Flys are horrible aren't they and it's always a worry in the warmer months. I'm about to use rear guard for my two in the next couple of weeks, I havne't applied it before so I'm only going to use a small amount to see how things go. Last year I cleaned them out every day and also planted marigolds and lavendar around their hutch (looked and smelt lovely too) to keep the flys away and also I got some horse fly repellent (NOT TO USE DIRECTLY ON BUNS) to spray all around their hutch and especally their bedroom are. This along with plenty of good hay and regular clean outs should be ok :wave:

Thank you

Thank you all so much....yes 'bunlover' it's the shop bought Fly Guard. I have to take Ruby upto the vets soon for the first of her annual vaccinations so I will enquire about the Rear Guard.....

I had heard of both and did some quick research but I obviously didn't research enough as I thought they both did roughly the same thing but if the Rear Guard is better then I will certainly use it instead of the Fly Guard. The Horse Fly repellent sounds like a good idea too....do flies not like lavender and marigolds?

Handy to know:)

Hi, flies hate lavendar and marigolds and buns love to eat them so all round a good idea to plant round the hutch - really easy to grow marigolds and lavendar is really cheap to buy :D The horse fly repellent smells really lovely too and works really well at keeping flys away - be careful not to spray on buns though.

Poor old bun! My Schumi got flystrike when he was about 8 because his dental probs made it difficult for him to wash. Bless. He also got a bit sloppy with his litter tray, so the hutch corners got a bit damp. He was ok though!

We found it helped to dry the hutch out properly using a hairdryer (or blowtorch if my dad was feeling brutal!!!:shock:) when cleaning it, and to clean out any dirty bedding every few days. Flies like warm, damp conditions. We also cleared any poops from the lawn that were near the hutches from when they'd been free ranging so it didn't attract them.

Silly 'bunny mummy'!!! - I didn't know that about lavender and marigolds. Very useful!

Hope Ruby's ok in her dotage, Schumi was 11 when he died so she's got plenty of life in her yet!!

:love:

A planting I go then, lavender and marigolds eveywhere;)
11 yrs is a great age for a bunny....
Honestly you look at Ruby sometimes and think awww poor mite's getting older now and taking it easier right until it's time for her to go back in her hutch at night then she proves that she's still got life in her as she's off at 200mph in the opposite direction:lol:

Back