• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I just worried for nothing? Help set my mind at rest.

kstevens7

Young Bun
I have a tendency to be paranoid but I just thought I'd ask.

If you've read my other threads, you know Riley was quite (although not excessively) sick last week with stasis. The good news is, she is recovering well and passing lovely large golden poops. :D

However I'm beginning to get worried about other things. She still doesn't seem herself and while she was in stasis, I saw her stumble a couple of times and shake her head, she couldn't always keep her balance.

That made me think - e. cuniculi? It wasn't happening often and I've been obsessing about a headtilt and because she's a lop, its difficult because they're always looking a little titley. She is still fairly uninterested in pellets but in muching down greens, hay, and treats just fine. She has lost a lot of weight (admittedly she could afford to) and now I can feel her spine very easily. :(

NONE of this was happening before she got sick with stasis. She's fairly active, jumping on the bed etc, but I havent seen her binky. She looks sad and tired all the time.

The vet mentioned e. cuniculi when I mentioned the falling over and checked her over physically - ears, eyes, etc. He didn't do a blood test though. It wasn't mentioned again so I assumed she was probably okay. (This was an RSPCA vet -and he seemed to know what he was talking about).

Should I be worried? Or is she just recovering from stasis? She was deep in the throes only a week ago.

My poor girl. :cry:

I would stop panicing easier said than done as shes picking up your worried and you have to be strong for her. Keep an eye on her and see if she falls anymore as if she wasnt well she would have been a little off balance. As long as shes eating then thats good and see how she goes really.
If your worried though for peace of mind take her back to vets otherwise see what great adventures you can set up for her a lot of buns are fed up at the mo with food and no sunny days to play out.

I would definitely treat her for EC. It won't do her any harm and it may be really important for her. In some buns it doesn't become obvious until it's really well developed - the sooner it's treated the better, and if she doesn't have it at least your mind will be at rest. My vet orders lapizole in for me. I'd definitely treat her! Better safe than sorry and you've nothing to lose...

I would take her back to the vets (maybe a different vet for a second opinion?)to see why she's losing her balance as I don't think this is a usual symptom of stasis(?) though maybe someone more experienced than me can advise you.
sue:wave:.

Alvin fell off his carrier when he had stasis once, it seemed to mess with his balance. he tested negative for EC :wave:

if shes still not right just for piece of mind the vets would be a good idea :)

Hm... I haven't actually seen her stumble since she was poorly. I put it down to just being weak. I'm just looking for head-tilt now because I saw her stumble! It's hard to know when you're just imagining things. :roll:

I might take her to the vet in a little while - not immediately because she's had such a tough week, it's almost certainly nothing, and it jus wouldn't be fair on her at the moment. All I needed was some conformation that other people's buns were a bit wobbly when in stasis, so thank you donnamt!

Thank you everyone else as well - I'll keep a very close eye on her over the next couple of days and if I see anything remotely amiss again I will take her in.

Back