• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My girl is booked in for her spay - booked in for Monday

loppy ears

Warren Veteran
My girl is having her spay next week, I feel sick just thinking about it. Any advice things I should know?

Last edited:
I've only had boys, and I know it's different for the, but hope all goes well, I'm sure it will,and you'll need to find yourself plenty of distractions for while she's being done to keep you sane :wave:

I think there's a bit on spays in 'Rabbit Care Reference Section' if you haven't already looked. Hope all goes well - remind us to send vibes on the day. :wave:

I've had 2 girls spayed and it really was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

They tend to be fairly quiet/ not eating or pooing for the first 24 - 36 hours but after that they really perked up. After 5 days they were going mad for more space and more or less back to their normal selves :D

Thanks I am scared too. She is booked in for Friday.

I think the more time you have to worry the worse it is.

I was lucky with my boys - they'd been in for a general check up, and the vet mentioned having them neutered. I said I'd book them in in a month or so, but Blackie went hump crazy within a couple of days, so I called up and they booked them in for the next day as they'd just had a check up. If I'd had to wait for a week after booking them in I'd have worried much more.

I think the more time you have to worry the worse it is.I was lucky with my boys - they'd been in for a general check up, and the vet mentioned having them neutered. I said I'd book them in in a month or so, but Blackie went hump crazy within a couple of days, so I called up and they booked them in for the next day as they'd just had a check up. If I'd had to wait for a week after booking them in I'd have worried much more.

I agree! I'm planning to get Spenser done at the end of the month, and it feels ages away. Reasons for the postponement are work and weather related. He's never done anything obviously hormonal, but I've finally decided he would still be happier withut his plums.

Hi don't worry too much. I know it's easy to say because I worried myself. I was sure something would go wrong but Lola came through it well and at least now she will be able to be with her husbun properly once she is over it. Just remember it is worth it for lots of reasons and one thing less to worry about in the future. I will be thinking of you both I hope it all goes well. Mega vibes xx

I put this off until the end of the month as she is an outdoor bun so I do not want to bring her in and then put her back in the cold.

Feeling really nervous about the spay :(

She trusts me so much, it is so hard taking a well rabbit to the vets to have an op.

A couple of questions

I am bringing her and her husbun indoors so I can keep a close eye on her, she is having the op on Monday so should I bring her in tomorrow so she gets used to her indoor area or wait until Sunday?

How much space should I allow her - I do not want her to race around and harm herself

What medication should she come home from the vets with

What bedding should I use for her whilst she is in recovery

What about litter trays, should they just have a pad in or be kept as normal with megazorb and hay

Anything else I should know

I am so scared, I know there are a lot of people on here who have really sick buns who cope wonderfully and I am acting wimpy, but it is a big op and I feel like crying she has no idea what is going to happen to her on Monday

Not wimpy, we all love our buns or we wouldn't be on here.

Just bumping this up for you for those in the know to advise and to send you and your bunnies very best wishes.

Back