• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Few shed/playhouse questions!

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
My playhouse is sat ready in the garden waiting to be built. There's just the small :? matter of clearing the garden, redoing and extending the patio, buying the aviary and oh yes.... bonding the buns back together :shock: it's been one big stress after another since getting these girls so I'm tried to remain positive and look forward to getting it all done and have been enjoying buying bits and planning it.

I have a few questions though..

1. The playhouse has 3 perspex windows, should I replace them with wire in the window frames? I'm worried about really hot nights when they are shut in. but then equally worried about them getting cold in the winter!

2. My buns currently have water in bottles, has anyone got any good ideas how to construct something that they can still have their bottles on? I'd prefer it to them having bowls as one of the girls is nuts and runs at a hundred miles an hour and I can see bowls being sent flying by her!

3. Do your playhouses/sheds get spiders?? :oops::oops: I'm terrified when I pull their trays out big hairy spideys will be waiting for me :lol:

1. The playhouse has 3 perspex windows, should I replace them with wire in the window frames? I'm worried about really hot nights when they are shut in. but then equally worried about them getting cold in the winter!

I have replaced a couple of the windows in my playhouse with mesh which helps with ventilation. You can easily insulate the playhouse like I have done with some the silver bubble wrap insulation from screwfix and putting plywood over the top and it also stops chewing.

2. My buns currently have water in bottles, has anyone got any good ideas how to construct something that they can still have their bottles on? I'd prefer it to them having bowls as one of the girls is nuts and runs at a hundred miles an hour and I can see bowls being sent flying by her!

What about having a very small hutch inside as a hideout and you could use it for water bottle. I have a double decker 5 foot hutch inside mine.

3. Do your playhouses/sheds get spiders?? I'm terrified when I pull their trays out big hairy spideys will be waiting for me

I used to be terrified of spiders and yes I do get some big ones living in the playhouse. I now respect them as they eat flies which is good to keep them away from the bunnies.

I'll have a look later for some inside and outside picks of my not very imagnative playhouse set up.

Here's the inside piccies and one of the outside. I have since insulated as stated above.

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

Its not that tidy now :roll:

ours are wired but in the winter we put clear perspex over them.

We use giant bottles which are on our run but we did have a regular size bottle in one of those water bottle holders that you get for bikes. It was tough finding one the right size though.

3. Do your playhouses/sheds get spiders?? :oops::oops: I'm terrified when I pull their trays out big hairy spideys will be waiting for me :lol:
ours get lots of cobwebs but I never see the spiders!

My playhouse is sat ready in the garden waiting to be built. There's just the small :? matter of clearing the garden, redoing and extending the patio, buying the aviary and oh yes.... bonding the buns back together :shock: it's been one big stress after another since getting these girls so I'm tried to remain positive and look forward to getting it all done and have been enjoying buying bits and planning it.

I have a few questions though..

1) I have the perspex in the at the moment, but I've also got wire weld mesh cut to size to fit in the window frames when it starts to warm up

2) No idea sorry (mine have bowls)

3) Yep there are spiders and cobwebs in the playhouse - but the way I see it, is that spiders eat flies, which can only be a good thing when it comes to flystrike :)

I think mesh windows are essential for summer but I keep the perspex for winter use. I use sticky backed velcro (stapled to the wood and stuck to the perspex) to make windows that are easy to remove on warm days

I prefer heavy ceramic bowls to bottles- easier to clean and for bunnies to drink from.

I quite like spiders but my playhouse doesn't get them very often :)

Thank you all for your answers, pictures and ebay link etc :)

That's a very good point about thinking of the spiders as being helpful getting the flies. A while ago the 99p shop had huge sheets of netting and velcro to put round windows in the summer. I'm hoping they get them in again so I can net the aviary for extra protection from flies.

hurricanehoney, I love your playhouse, and the bunny on the door is really cute!! I was thinking how tidy it was, then noticed you'd put it wasn't that tidy anymore :lol:

We got to work clearing the garden ready for extending the patio yesterday, OH loaded up his van to take it to the tip, and it really felt like we were finally getting somewhere. Then they refused him at the tip as he doesn't have a permit, so it's now all back in the garden again :roll:

Back