• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet bills for different types of bunnies

luvabun

Warren Veteran
I was at the Vets the other day with Totti (lop) and they told me how much I'd spent on his Vet bills... over £750... when I said that wasn't as much as I expected, the reply was that was only since March last year :shock::shock:

Kiki (uppey-eared bun) has cost over £400 during the same period and this is mainly her medicines as she has a chronic nasal abscess and is pasturella positive.

Bugsy (uppey-eared Dutch) comes in at just over £70 during the same period - vaccinations.

Chester and Billie-Joe (uppey-eared English spot/ cross Dutch - but they don't look at all Dutch like) have also just cost the vaccinations during the 2 1/2 years I've had them.

Molly reached 12 1/2 years and was uppey-eared.

So my experience is that uppey-eared i.e. closer to wild rabbit shaped, bunnies do have fewe health problems than lop-eared.

Would appreciate other peoples examples :)

My uppy eared Inca bun has millions wrong with her, and she is rather like a wildie.

My lop eared Kermit had loads wrong with him too!

Seeing as Im at the vets every month with Lily, and shes been here for almost 2 yrs, I will ask what my expenditure is..

Eli (french lop) was suffering with pasturella when we got him so we got that under control with a course of antibiotics (£30) and he's been fine since. We've had him under a year.

Lola and rambo (small uppy ear buns) are both in good health. We've had them around 2 years I think.

I think good breeding is the most important thing in relation to health but obviously different breeds have different common problems (teeth in nethies, hocks in rex's, ears in lops, etc). I think dutch's are overall the most healthy buns.

IME Lops definitely have more problems than uppy eared. Problems being : Dental, some with secondary RTI and/or GI tract hypomotility.
Bacterial Otitis externa.

If I did a total of my Vet Bills I'd have a cardiac arrest so I wont bother !!

Blackie was my expensive bun (nethie), with dentals costing £160 a time on average, every couple of months - but I would happily keep paying that to have my little fella back :(

:wave: so Inca blows my theory out the water :lol:

Maybe she is the exception! Poor wee soul that she is, I dread to imagine what she has cost me at the vets, but i have had the majority of it back from Petplan :)

She has....deformed back end, curve in spine, slipped discs in back, deformed lady bits, no tail, sore hocks, her blood readings show she is possibly diabetic, no claws on one of her back feet, only 2 on the other

She has also had......EC with hind leg paralysis, terrible urine scauld, abscesses on feet, abscesses on bum, runny poops

And she is a moulting mess at the moment!
P1010149.jpg

It's probably because they've been inbred so much to get their ears bigger and bigger until they lopped over.

Charlie is 3 and has so far had no vet trips other than for neutering and vaccinations. He's a lop.
Mable was also a lop and had an emergancy vet appointment which she died after :(

Of my 12 rabbits (6 uppy eared, 6 lops) the 5 lops are the ones that have had all the veterinary treatment over the last 5 years.

I have 3 related lop girls that are all prone to stasis, so guess that is a genetic thing.

5 of the uppy eared ones have only cost me vaccinations.

well our vet after a few moths were laughing and told us how much we spent, Cant remember now what it was but I keep most bills so we done atally up last year of the bills we had and that was for mainly 2 buns
Jack has only had his neuter injections and a injection for upset tum so about £200 max for him in the year we've had him
Winston has had 3 emergency apps which push his bill up (each £145ish) and one where he had to be on drip for 3 days so that was quite exspensive.had a lump removed, then he has bad feet and is on metacam for life about £60 every 6 month and we have cheaper vet checkups as he goes for his feet to be checked. 2 dentals and vaccs etc in 4 years.
Angel is our mouth disease bun who has bad tear duct and had to have flushes under ga every other day when we first got her for few weeks. Then weekly for few months her dentals are every 1-3 months and her eye is keep flaring up at mo so shes our exspensive girl never had emergencys touch wood with her just long term health problems. She had to have x-rays regular and had lump removed before.
Our total when added was near £10,000 in nearly 4 years for all them but since adding that we have had another probably 5ish dentals and emergency bloat with winnie and few checkups/ tear flushes so add couple hundred on to that by now and that wasn't all of our receipts just the ones I had.:shock:

well our vet after a few moths were laughing and told us how much we spent, Cant remember now what it was but I keep most bills so we done atally up last year of the bills we had and that was for mainly 2 buns
Jack has only had his neuter injections and a injection for upset tum so about £200 max for him in the year we've had him
Winston has had 3 emergency apps which push his bill up (each £145ish) and one where he had to be on drip for 3 days so that was quite exspensive.had a lump removed, then he has bad feet and is on metacam for life about £60 every 6 month and we have cheaper vet checkups as he goes for his feet to be checked. 2 dentals and vaccs etc in 4 years.
Angel is our mouth disease bun who has bad tear duct and had to have flushes under ga every other day when we first got her for few weeks. Then weekly for few months her dentals are every 1-3 months and her eye is keep flaring up at mo so shes our exspensive girl never had emergencys touch wood with her just long term health problems. She had to have x-rays regular and had lump removed before.
Our total when added was near £10,000 in nearly 4 years for all them but since adding that we have had another probably 5ish dentals and emergency bloat with winnie and few checkups/ tear flushes so add couple hundred on to that by now and that wasn't all of our receipts just the ones I had.:shock:

:shock: I know mine will be in the thousands over teh 9 years I've had them but nowhere near £10,000 - yikes for you :shock:

Out of interest can you tell us what types of buns yours are?

Maybe she is the exception! Poor wee soul that she is, I dread to imagine what she has cost me at the vets, but i have had the majority of it back from Petplan :)

She has....deformed back end, curve in spine, slipped discs in back, deformed lady bits, no tail, sore hocks, her blood readings show she is possibly diabetic, no claws on one of her back feet, only 2 on the other

She has also had......EC with hind leg paralysis, terrible urine scauld, abscesses on feet, abscesses on bum, runny poops

And she is a moulting mess at the moment!
P1010149.jpg

Bless her furry socks :wave:

think natrual body shape helps but obviously there are exceptions to this, in fact my healhtiest bunny (minuns his denatls) is arhtur my lop. dora has had ec and snuffles, kitty has had ulcerated eyes hay stuck in eyes, coco had a non cancerous lump dentals and snuffles over time. so really do think its partly bunny specific but definatly the head shape of a wildy means less dental issueS!!!

:shock: I know mine will be in the thousands over teh 9 years I've had them but nowhere near £10,000 - yikes for you :shock:

Out of interest can you tell us what types of buns yours are?

Angel -dental girl is a x-agouti
Winston- sore hocks is a rex (before we got him was the damage)
Jack healthy bun is a dutch

Most of the health problems with mine have been with Mischa who is a lop, but then the first two years I had him I wasn't very clued up so he didn't have the greatest diet. :oops:

I have had 3 uppy earred bunnies. 2 died of old age and never had health problems.

My old man Sunshine has had no problems either.

My lopped earred bunny Nancy had several problems in 3 years. Costing nearly £3000.00, that is why I am so broke now. lol

I will have to wait and see with our new lopped earred bunny.

Back